avoiding the No No Foods

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ucldbmine

avoiding the No No Foods

#1 Post by ucldbmine »

How important is it really that I not eat nuts, or enjoy a stick of chewing gum on occassion? I'm sure you've all experienced those overwhelming cravings for a No No food. Funny thing is I'm craving foods that I didn't really eat much of before probably just because they told me not to eat them, but nuts are a big problem for me.. I LOVE to eat nuts. I don't really want to ask my ortho because I know I'll get the standard avoid them at all cost lecture.

sportsgrl97

#2 Post by sportsgrl97 »

i chew gum ALL the time.... and ppl say that gum breaks the brackets and gets stuck to them but its not true.... just chew the sugarless kind like trident.... i also eat all the other no no foods ( ice, popcorn, granola bars) but im not exactly the perfect role model.... ive broken off 6 brackets mostly from chewing on pens, granola bars, ice, and one time opening up a bag of sunflower seeds and the bag got cought on my hook and pulled the bracket off...... then there was the other time that i was eating sugar cane which isnt exactly the softest thing to eat and i pulled my spring completely off the wire even though it was tied down tight with wire ties.... im still not exactly sure how that happened???? but just be careful i guess.... i probably wouldnt have broken any brackets if only i had been careful but i just forget i have braces and start chomping away at things

:(

but anyways gum has never missed up anything to go ahead.... shew away :)

nuts shouldnt be too bad just be careful and chew on the inner side of your teeth and not on the outside where the brackets are :)

sportsgrl97

#3 Post by sportsgrl97 »

:D

JoeMama

#4 Post by JoeMama »

I think the longer you have the braces on, the more foods on the no-no list you'll probably eat. I think I've eaten everything on the no-no list besides gum. Nuts, tortilla chips, cereal, candy, etc. You just have to be careful, I did break a bracket off recently eating some beef jerky. And a co-worker says she chewed gum the whole time she wore her braces, she was determined and had developed a "techinque" to keep it on the inside of her teeth?? Guess it depends on how determined you are to eat certain things.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

CLAmom

#5 Post by CLAmom »

I figure if you can chew it, it's fair game! :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

ucldbmine

#6 Post by ucldbmine »

Ha HA sounds like a good plan to me.. wonder what no no food I can figure out how to chew at dinner :lol:

Attagirl2

#7 Post by Attagirl2 »

Chewing gum is on my no no list, but it is because of my TMJ - it can tighten up the muscles and cause it to be worse....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

drazda

#8 Post by drazda »

Does anyone know why gum is on the no-no list? It's too soft to break off a bracket, and the sugarless kind won't give you cavities. I've chewed gum on many occations without problems.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have eaten just about anything I wanted so far. The only thing holding me back is pain. The first 6 months or so it was really hard to bite into things with my front teeth but lately its becoming easier. I even ate corn on the cob and RIBS over July 4th weekend!

I eat all kinds of nuts. I love to keep a bowl of almonds on my desk for everyone in my office to munch on. Pecans are another favorite of mine. And I eat toffee peanuts. (I'm really careful with those) I also eat popcorn. I haven't tried to chew gum though because the thought of gum stuck in my braces grosses me out.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Idislikebraces

#10 Post by Idislikebraces »

Hmm..I eat all the nono foods..lol when i first got my braces on we went to the store...nd I got gum..haha I eat EVERYTHING!! I feel bad now..*continues to chew gum* :? :D
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

jennandtonic

#11 Post by jennandtonic »

I don't eat much that's on the 'no-no' list, not because I don't crave it, but because it feels uncomfortable! I tried eating chips and I just didn't like how it felt against my teeth/braces, so I haven't touched them.

Plus I like the idea of planning my first meal after the de-bracing day. It will make those foods taste better when I haven't had them in two years.

jennandtonic

#12 Post by jennandtonic »

I think it's not as much willpower as it is a like for delayed gratification. I learned early that good things come to those who wait, and since I don't want to chance ruining my braces, I'm going to LOOOOOOVE that corn on the cob and those raw carrots when I'm through!

Not to mention the potato chips. :P

mandaluv

#13 Post by mandaluv »

i've eaten almost everything on the no-no list. i'm not even careful, but maybe i naturally eat carefully or something. haha. the only problems i had was when i ate popcorn, it was harder than usual to get a sharp kernel shell out of under my gums, and when i chew gum, sometimes it sticks to the inside of my molar bands. nothing a toothbrush can't handle, though.
[/url]

Way Too Old For This

#14 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My ortho turned a blind eye to all the gummi bears, popcorn and fizzy drinks that were carried into the theatre when he treated all his patients to a showing of Harry Potter!
Wow, what a fun orthodontist!

I did remember one thing I am not willing to try. Those Jolly Rancher suckers that are green apple and caramel. Those feel like they will pull out molars. Actually I haven't tried any Jolly Rancher candies since I've had braces. I'll probably pass on those till after the braces come off.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

pk_girl

#15 Post by pk_girl »

I have had almost everything that I am not supposed to have. Except for apples, it is impossible to bite into an apple with these things on.