Hi - New here

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LP

Hi - New here

#1 Post by LP »

Hey Everyone,

I was just googling for info and happily came across this site. I'm hoping some of you will 'give it to me straight'. :lol:

After a life of crooked teeth and pain in my mouth, I've decided to bite the bullet and will be getting my speed braces on Tuesday. I know the ortho will give me all the info I need, but I'm sort of the impatient type. :D I have a few questions and would be so happy to have any of them answered.

Is it really going to be super painful at first? I'm getting the diagnostics done, the braces put on, and some teeth pulled all in one day!

Can I brush my teeth normally or do I need some special tooth brush?

How about food? What can't I eat? Is it true I have to go two years without popcorn, cuz I'm a bit of a popcorn addict :lol: Will I get little white spots when they come off from all the coffee and tea I drink?

Any other advice or tid-bits of info you could give me would be appreciated.

TIA

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

You will feel the tightening of the braces and might feel soreness for up to 4-5 days. Not everyone is the same. In fact I did not feel pain , I only felt tightness. I did eat softer foods for the first week just because it felt so strange and tight. You are suppose to stay away from really crunchy,sticky foods. However I know several people that eat popcorn with braces. They usually put the popcorn all the way in the back to chew. I would not try this for the first weeks of getting braces though.
I suggest you take two extra strength Tylenols about 40 min before getting the braces. Continue the tylenol every 4-6 hrs for at least 3 days. I did this and did not feel pain. After a while I just stopped the tylenol and waited to see if pain would come but it did not.

I had 6 extractions in one day.Got braced about 2 weeks later I think.

Did your ortho tell you how long does he estimate your treatment time?
Mine is 2.5 yrs

Gennel

LP

#3 Post by LP »

Thanks for the response Gennel :D

My ortho estimates 18 - 24 months. My teeth are REALLY bad so I'm surprised it's not longer.

I've learned so much just from reading the threads here tonight and I must say...on some points I feel a sense of relief, but I just read one about how horrible they look when they are first put on. :cry: They are all over the place and the wires and brackets are going to be nasty. There is a really huge part of me that wants to back out based soley on how they will look (call me vain), but they are getting worse all the time so I should go through with it. Sigh.

As for the pain, I'm not usually a pain whimp - I just like knowing what to expect.

Thanks again.

LP

#4 Post by LP »

Thanks so much for all the information KK.

I really hope you're right about the wonky archwires straightening out quickly. I hate my teeth so much already so to add some shiney, wonky metal to it is not something I'm looking forward to. :?

I feel a little more prepared now.

I'll have to post on Tuesday if I'm not crying after looking in the mirror :wink:

babymetalmouth

#5 Post by babymetalmouth »

Hey!!!

I know everyone has answered all your questions lol but I just though idd add my experiance as Ive only just had my braces put in!!

I have 4 extractions, they hurt a little bit and I didnt really like them, but you get over it, and to be honest, Im the worse for pain, and I forgot about it after 10 mins and was laughing about my lips being numb!!

Getting braces didnt bother me to much.. the paint tastes like sour milk mixed with a sweetner or something :FeelSick: But then again, you may not be liek stupid me and go and lick your teeth with it on ... :oops:

My teeth were a bit sore for the first few days but seriously I think most of it just goes away, The worst bit is when you get something rubbing on your lip or cheek :evil:

Dont worry about it, It will be fine!! Adn you will be like ' why was I worrying?'

Id say for the first few days, use a soft brush and only brush where you can, and get a toothpick or something to get the food out instead of brushing like mad and stuff!! Id just be careful around the sore bits!!

My wire is not perfectly straight but it doesnt look bad! I dont even notice my wires anymore, I think you notice them more as you go on...

I can eat any food I want to now, so Im happy... I was eating frozen chocolate yesterday!!

Good luck with your braces and extractions and remember, if you feel some pain, its going to go away!!

:D
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!