Damon braces question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mindwaves

Damon braces question

#1 Post by mindwaves »

Hello everyone!

I found this site by Googling damon braces so I'm very happy that I have found this site. So very insightful and a nice crowd around here.

I do have a question about my Damon braces which I got on just about a month ago. I know that Damon braces are self-ligating, but does anyone know how they are supposed to eliminate my overbite problem? They are supposed to expand the lower jaw I suppose, but how does Damon do it over traditional braces?

Also, how do braces work in general? I found some links here, but I know they they work by applying small gentle pressure to the teeth to move them, but how do they know to get straight in that nice arch? That is the part which confuses me.

Also, is anyone here with Damon's have the wire coming off the brackets? I had to go in 2x already to get them (different parts of the mouth) for the wire to be placed back into the bracket. On my last visit, the Ortho gave me a larger sized wire so I hope that helps. She also said that one of my teeth has moved a lot and I think I can see what she is saying, but I have to give it a couple more weeks to be sure. Thanks.

edit: I also just bought this waterpik off amazon.com. It was free after using my pts off my amazon credit card.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008 ... &n=3760901
Last edited by mindwaves on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ingyandbert

#2 Post by ingyandbert »

Yes, Damons will correct your overbite. I believe that's what elastics will be used for down the road.

The way the archwire works is by creating space for your teeth to move into by expanding your arches outward. Just think of the difference between a capital U and a half circle. That's what the archwire does by exerting ever more pressure as the wires are replaced with heavier ones over time.

As far as having your wires pop out, I haven't had that problem. My ortho places a tiny ball of glue on the tip of each wire so the wire can't pop out. You might ask your ortho to do the same.
Last edited by ingyandbert on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindwaves

#3 Post by mindwaves »

Thanks for the reply. Elastics? I thought Damons were self-ligating so that negates the need for elastics?

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Elastics and ligatures are two completely different things.

mindwaves

#5 Post by mindwaves »

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that they were kind of the same things. Guess I will have them on some time later on then. Not looking too forward to that!

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Yep, I have elastics in 2 different configurations (at the same time) with my Damons right now. Here's a picture of my double elastic duo correcting my 4mm overbite and a slight deep bite:

"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

mindwaves

#7 Post by mindwaves »

Wow, that looks painful! So that is how they are going to fix my 7mm overbite!

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

It hasn't been all that painful with the exception of the first few days. Usually it only hurts with the elastics in my mouth. Once they're out to eat or brush or for special occasions, the pain's gone.

The diagonal elastic from front upper to lower, not the V shaped configuration is for the overbite.

The former is probably how your ortho will deal with your over jet. Follow his/her directions EXACTLY and it will go smoothly. Don't flake out on hours and DON'T double them up.

At first it was a pain, now it's NORMAL!!! REALLY!

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

mindwaves

#9 Post by mindwaves »

Thanks for the reply. I have a bit more confidence getting my elastics on. I can't wait really! haha..I just want it to be done with!

LP

#10 Post by LP »

I'm glad I read this. I'm getting the Speed braces in the morning and I too was under the impression that there was no elastics involved. I'm glad I know before hand.

LP

#11 Post by LP »

Thanks KK. Wow this place is such a wealth of information :D

The lip balm is packed, I'll pop a couple pain killers on my way in, and I won't forget the tiolet stop. :wink:

Epyx

#12 Post by Epyx »

As far as having your wires pop out, I haven't had that problem. My ortho places a tiny ball of glue on the tip of each wire so the wire can't pop out. You might ask your ortho to do the same.
I'm curious about this ball of glue. Is it really glue, or some other kind of plasticky substance? And is the real purpose to protect the sharp ends ot the archwire?

I ask because I can't believe that my ortho leaves these sharp ends on the archwire without any protection. They dig into my cheeks and I have to keep wax on them permanently.

adollface

#13 Post by adollface »

Epyx-your archwire really shouldn't extend past your last bracket. If it does tell your ortho so he can cut it. I have had Damon's for 19 months now and when my teeth move sometimes the archwire will start to poke me but I call the office and they have me come right in to have the wire cut. They don't want me to be in pain like that. Anyway, good luck to all of you with your treatment. Mine are coming off in 3 hours and 40 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12/16/04

Epyx

#14 Post by Epyx »

I promise you KK, I've had the wires re-clipped twice since I first mentioned it on this board. It's just that on one side on the upper, it's like my cheek is "fat" on the inside and it's always in contact.

Maybe I'm unusual in this regard. But since I experience it, I just find it so weird that ortho's will leave such sharp pieces of metal exposed this way.