Anyone know if disclosing tablets stain clear ligs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claraleeza

Anyone know if disclosing tablets stain clear ligs?

#1 Post by claraleeza »

Recently, I thought it might be a good idea to buy some disclosing tablets to check I'm brushing my teeth correctly (disclosing tablets, btw, are those things that show up lurking plaque), but just as I was about to throw the packet in my basket, I read on the back the info about how the tablets would turn your mouth and tongue blue, and you should scrub away the excess "blueness" afterwards with a toothbrush. Which made me think, hang on a minute, what if it also turns my clear ligs blue??? (I've got ceramic uppers and lowers and, having had them on less than a month, am still pretty paranoid about staining) Well, at that point I chickened out.

Anyone know if they would have coloured my ligs, or if I'd have been fine?

river

#2 Post by river »

HI,

Well the answer is a big fat YES, I didnt think when i used one the other week ( red ) about the colour transfering as i was sure my mouth was spot less.

The good news was my teeth was so bright white with no red stains.

Bad news was my braces/ligs changed to a bright red colour , the ligs were stained so bad that no amount of brushing help.

So if your going to use them , use them the day before you go to get them changed.

tc sarah

Idislikebraces

#3 Post by Idislikebraces »

No they dont.
I use em every other week!
I have ceramics with clear ligs nd yes they do turn the blueish color but thats bc theres plaque on certain ones..like my back ones that have two ligs overlapping.
But then I brush nd it comes right off.
So no they dont stain em.at least they didnt stain mine. :P
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

princesspenelope

#4 Post by princesspenelope »

I have clear brackets and had clear ligs for eight weeks (now with wire ties - ortho wants something stronger to rotate my canines). I use purple disclosing tablets once a week also. I would say the stain is not permanent, I would just brush twice after I used it, and it takes all the purple stain out after that.
May 3, 2006 - Upper and lower ceramics
March 2007 - Elastics for overbite (changed 3 times a day)

claraleeza

#5 Post by claraleeza »

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. And special thanks once again to KK who, may I say, is truly a fountain of knowledge - you have so much good advice to give everyone. It's really appreciated.