Molar band doesn't seem to be on properly!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

Molar band doesn't seem to be on properly!

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

I had my molar bands fitted on the bottom a week ago and I'm going back on Friday to have the lower braces put on. One of the molar bands isn't as low down on my tooth as the other one and in fact the top of it seems to be above my tooth surface on one side as I can feel the metal edge.
Is it possible for them to "slip" or did he maybe not push it far enough on in the first place? Even despite wearing spacers for a week the gap was still very small and he did say it was a struggle to get them on.

I'll mention it on Friday as I guess he can either re-position it or file it down a bit but I just wondered if anyone had ever had a band move?

Cheers
Lisa

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

My molar bands werent totally flush against the teeth, but i somehow got used to it after a few days. But it is very possible the bands can be moved into a more comfortable position to you.

The bands are very easy to remove because i've even pulled one off by accident before :oops: and ive had one removed and replaced by the ortho and all i felt was a little pressure.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

oh thanks for that Angel, I was a bit worried that's all.

I'll mention it on Friday and hopefully he will be able to push it down a bit more or file the sharp bit off. You know how when you know something is there you keep poking it with your tongue? I have got a sore bit on the end of my tongue from repeatedly feeling at the sharp edge.

Why on earth do we do that I wonder? :roll:

Waddles

let me know how it goes...

#4 Post by Waddles »

Hi Lisa65

I have a similar thing with my top right one as it sticks out off the tooth a bit and I catch my tongue on it. its not too bad but none of the other teetch feel like it. Please let me know how it goes. Im only 2 weeks in and havent got an appointment for 3 weeks now so it would be good to hear from you what they say.

Good luck with the braces, hope all goes well
x

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Waddles, I rang my ortho today because I was convinced that the band was working its way off :oops: and he saw me as an emergency. It wasn't actually coming off but what had happened was that some of the cement had come out leaving a sharp edge.

He filed it down for me so it's not sticking up so much anymore, and he said anytime I'm worried about anything just to get in touch - so I didn't feel so silly after that! He said if I still have trouble with it he can put some more cement on.

So I would say that if your band is troubling you too much then give your ortho a ring and ask if he can file it down. It only took a couple of minutes.