Nominations, worst foods to eat

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TeenQueen

#31 Post by TeenQueen »

I would have to say spaghetti or any long string like pasta. I was eating spaghetti one night and one piece got wrapped around my wire and then I almost choked on it. So now I stick to penne, rigatoni or bowties.

Destor

#32 Post by Destor »

TeenQueen wrote:I would have to say spaghetti or any long string like pasta. I was eating spaghetti one night and one piece got wrapped around my wire and then I almost choked on it. So now I stick to penne, rigatoni or bowties.
I had that same problem too, those spaghetti noodles are a choking hazard waiting to happen with braces. They get stuck lengthwise along the brackets against your gums and end up choking you when trying to swallow. Note to self: cut spaghetti up first!
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

bracedintx

Bagels and sushi

#33 Post by bracedintx »

I have had to swear off bagels :cry: This is hard since I love them and someone usually shows up at work with them about once a week. I have tried to rip off small pieces, but am unable to chew them. So I try to crush the bread with my tongue against the roof of my mouth. This of course only results in creating a gummy, disgusting ball of flour in my mouth, leaving me with 2 options:
1. Swallow it whole (impossible)
2. 'Discreetly' remove it from my mouth (inevitably while someone is watching)

I also have tried to pop entire items in my mouth that are too hard to cut or rip apart, for example sushi. This is a bad idea (duh), because it is too big for my mouth and I either have to be extremely rude and eat with my mouth WIDE open (while trying to politely cover the gaping canyon with my hand), or, once again, spit it out. So it is with a heavy heart that I give up bagels for the duration, and sushi and salad in the presence of others :roll:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

cookie

#34 Post by cookie »

Just thought of another one that's a real pain in the ass: Cous cous with yoghurt and mint dressing - the grains get all stuck in between the brackets, and as an added bonus you get mint flecks all over the place too :P

Also, discovered this morning that baklava is not a brace wearers best choice of accompaniment to a mid morning cup of coffee - whilst all th gooey sticky nutty-ness is delicious, it's not the easiest thing in the world to eat (didn't stop me though!)
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Kittysopretty

#35 Post by Kittysopretty »

I ate broccoli and it was DISGUSTING!!!!!! I am even careful not to use my front teeth at all, I use my back molars and yet these green little balls from the flower part just found there way up into my front ceramics *gag*

Eating chocolate is awful too because (sorry to be so gross) your saliva turns chocolate-y and then my ceramics are brown until I brush. ew. :oops:

gamine

#36 Post by gamine »

Enjoy the triangle, that's what I had and now I'm doing a vertical and it's a pain!
Christine
Metal Mouth since 06/10/04

JeepGirl

#37 Post by JeepGirl »

Most definitely rice and any type of pasta! :roll:

susieq182

#38 Post by susieq182 »

sub sandwich on fresh baked rye bread w/ the works. I think fresh Rye is the only bread that would give tortillas a run for thier money. So glad I didnt get ceramics every time I have a sub sandwich the bread gets all stuck everywhere and then the lettuce and spinich and sprouts and oinions and olives then of course mustard (stained my pretty blue power chain). eating rye bread is how i broke the wire on my bite plate. all that isnt going to stop me the next time i am at the subshop.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

claraleeza

#39 Post by claraleeza »

Banana chips. Wow, I thought they were going to snap my brackets right off.
Last edited by claraleeza on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

hippyhippo

#40 Post by hippyhippo »

Without doubt sushi! But now with braces this one time fav has now hit rock bottom!.
Say it ain't so! I'm still pre-braces, and sushi is one of my favourite foods. I'd be happy to eat it three times a week.

Pain from adjustments I can take. But a life without sushi is just not worth living :wink:

LP

#41 Post by LP »

This is day one with my braces (and teeth pulled) and my big ole bowl of mashed potatoes went down just fine. :?

I'm so glad I read this thread. I can just see me grabbing something from the freezer like lasgana with LOTS of spinach or black bean and rice enchilladas for lunch tomorrow. And the guy I break with wouldn't say a word but would be laughing his ass off until I noticed it :lol:

mindwaves

#42 Post by mindwaves »

Poptarts, anything with cheese, anything with spinach is a pain to clean.

sjsarre

#43 Post by sjsarre »

One of my favourite Indian side dishes

Chana Sag - Spinach and Chickpeas..

No need to say any more!

:lol:

fitchick

#44 Post by fitchick »

I miss my usual bag of nuts and raisins during my morning work break. A colleague bought me a box of chocolates last week and I picked a caramel, we were hysterical when my mouth was completely stuck together with gooey chocolate and caramel. I had to remove my bite plane and clean my teeth as I ended up in such a mess. Soft centres for me from now on!

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLAmom

#45 Post by CLAmom »

Cooked broccoli, strawberries, and PBJ sandwiches. Pieces of food can sometimes be found in there days later!!!! Oh, and I picked out a small strand of spaghetti the other day. Can't even remember when I ate spaghetti last. Icky. :oops:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"