Spacers.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rmwolf83

Spacers.....

#1 Post by rmwolf83 »

Hi Everyone!!! I'm new to all of this, so please bear with me!!!

Well, first of all, I'm 23 years old and I will be getting my braces intalled on Tuesday, 7/18. I had my spacers put in yesterday... eight total: six on the top and two on the bottom. At first everything felt fine, just like I had food stuck in my teeth or something... a little annoying, but quite bearable. However, as the night went on, I started experiencing more and more pain. Finally, around 9:30 I took two Aleve. They didn't seem to help very much. Then a little after midnight I gave up and went to bed hoping I could just sleep through the pain. Well, that didn't work out at all how I'd planned.....I was awake constantly, tossing and turning. Finally, around 4:30 am I decided to get up and take two of the Vicodin I had left over from my carpal tunnel surgery. That totally took care of the pain and I fell right back asleep.....but this morning I was so sick to the stomach I couldn't believe it. I could barely stand without getting sick. Regardless, being the trooper that I am, I proceeded to get ready and came to work. Now here I sit. I've been taking acetaminophen from the first aid box which usually does wonders on my headaches, but it's not touching the pain I'm feeling in my mouth. I can't even close my jaw all the way.....if I allow my upper teeth to come in contact with my lower teeth, the pain is about unbearable.

Is this normal??? Will the pain go away?? Are the braces themselves going to hurt this much??? Someone please help me with this.....no one around me really understands how this feels and I could really use some support.

I'm sorry for rambling on like this, but I really don't have anyone else to whom I can vent, no one gets it. Thanks everyone for listening!

Rachel

elissasmilz

#2 Post by elissasmilz »

I know right now, you are probably dreading the next 2 years, but believe it or not, the worst part of your entire treatment is probably behind you now.

Those spacers are a hell of an indoctrination into ortho.

Elissa

SHORTIN1

#3 Post by SHORTIN1 »

Spacers are definately uncomfortable. Are you rinsing with warm salt water? This will help. Soft food for a few days will keep you from having to chew. I had discomfort for about a week with my spacers. It will gradually decline. Then it will be time for braces on, and again discomfort for a week or so. For me the spacers were more painful. Just a note to be careful with medication, not to overdo. Good Luck!
SHARI

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi rmwolf. Sorry to hear your pain, but unfortunately, it is normal. It will go away. In the mean time you might try ibuprohpen - it is an anti-inflamatory. (Two vicoden at once? Maybe that is why your stomach was upset)...

Braces will be better, but you will still have times of discomfort, especially after you first get them and after adjustments. In a few days, the worst of your spacers will be over. Plan on drinking protien shakes and puddings for a few days- anything soft.

Best wishes on your journey, Attagirl
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi there

I've had spacers in for 2 weeks and I would say that the first 3 days were the worst. I felt like just ripping them out and saying to hell with it. But now I can hardly feel they are there.
It does get better honestly and ibuprofen (Advil in the US) is about the best painkiller to use for dental pain. I took them 3 times a day for the first 3 days or so and it helped a lot.

rmwolf83

#6 Post by rmwolf83 »

Hmmm....somehow I think I came off as a bit of a drug abuser.....I promise, I'm not! I did take two vicadin this morning, only because that's what the prescription is for....2 pills every 8 hours for pain. I took them on an empty stomach though, and I think that's where the nausea came into play!

I want to thank everyone for their supportive comments thus far...they are very much appreciated. I'm begining to feel a heck of a lot better as well as a whole bunch more confident in my decision to get braces.

Thanks again!

Rachel