Gums Trimmed

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

calley03

Gums Trimmed

#1 Post by calley03 »

I have not posted in a long time. I had my braces put on in December. My ortho referred me this week to get a frenectomy (not sure if that is spelled right) and they had one appointment yesterday, or in September, so I got it done. The doctor ended up doing the fronectomy and trimming around 6 teeth (pretty sure thats how many). Anyway, they told me I was going to be in a lot of pain and even prescribed pain pills (which I did not get filled). Anyway its been over 24 hours and I have not had anything that I would consider pain yet. I just wondered if anyone knows how likely this skin is to grow back, the Doctor told me it is possible, and if anyone knows how quick it heals? Thanks!
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

calley03

#2 Post by calley03 »

I forgot to mention above that I felt a great deal of pressure during the procedure, no pain though. I don't know if that is normal but it is something I never want to go through again.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

Samantha08

#3 Post by Samantha08 »

Did your ortho do the procedure with a laser? I had mine done as well, and I never felt any pain whatsoever, even after it was over and it was healing. It took about a week or two to look completely normal, but they heal pretty quickly. Just do everything that your ortho told you to and you'll be good as new in no time. I have a post on this board somewhere that I posted pics on, if you search for it you should be able to find it. :)
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

About a year ago I had my lower fronts done w/ the laser, as well. The smell during the proceedure was less than pleasant, but there was no pain. For a day or two afterwards my gums felt a little like when you burn your tongue on hot tea or coffee, but definitely not a big deal. The sure look good now!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

I would love to trade places with you. I've got the opposite problem. I need gum grafts in all four quadrants of the mouth. One side one month, the other side the next month. What a pain!

ingyandbert

#6 Post by ingyandbert »

double post

fantasia

#7 Post by fantasia »

They do this at the ortho? I know my regular dentist had mentioned it years ago. My ortho also mentioned it. I didn't know they could do it though.
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years

fins

#8 Post by fins »

Is this done by a regular dentist or endodontist or someone else? I don't think orthos do this procedure. Did you have an iv or novacaine?