Nominations, worst foods to eat

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LP

#46 Post by LP »

This is day one with my braces (and teeth pulled) and my big ole bowl of mashed potatoes went down just fine. :?

I'm so glad I read this thread. I can just see me grabbing something from the freezer like lasgana with LOTS of spinach or black bean and rice enchilladas for lunch tomorrow. And the guy I break with wouldn't say a word but would be laughing his ass off until I noticed it :lol:

mindwaves

#47 Post by mindwaves »

Poptarts, anything with cheese, anything with spinach is a pain to clean.

sjsarre

#48 Post by sjsarre »

One of my favourite Indian side dishes

Chana Sag - Spinach and Chickpeas..

No need to say any more!

:lol:

fitchick

#49 Post by fitchick »

I miss my usual bag of nuts and raisins during my morning work break. A colleague bought me a box of chocolates last week and I picked a caramel, we were hysterical when my mouth was completely stuck together with gooey chocolate and caramel. I had to remove my bite plane and clean my teeth as I ended up in such a mess. Soft centres for me from now on!

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLAmom

#50 Post by CLAmom »

Cooked broccoli, strawberries, and PBJ sandwiches. Pieces of food can sometimes be found in there days later!!!! Oh, and I picked out a small strand of spaghetti the other day. Can't even remember when I ate spaghetti last. Icky. :oops:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Kriz

#51 Post by Kriz »

I have to second the sub sandwhich.. OMG it took 30 mins to eat and then I bit the side of my jaw twice.. the bread gumming my brackets was a nightmare! dont think I will eat a sub for awhile.. geeze and I love philly cheese steak!

Kriz

Gottaplaygamz

#52 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

I have to say eating granola is tough. There are so many little pieces that get caught in the brackets it take a long time to clean although I am very thankful that I have a water pik, It is great.

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008

*Denise*

#53 Post by *Denise* »

I can eat just about anything, except for corn on the cob. I always have my mirror, water, tooth pick etc. :)

nvcarissa

#54 Post by nvcarissa »

Foods I avoid when dining with others or in public:
Tortillas, especially in wraps. Oh, and I love wraps. I can eat quesadillas though since they tend to be flat.
Same with burgers or any sandwich with soft bread. If the sandwich is grilled or on very solid whole grain bread, it's not such a problem. I do tend to shy away from food that I have to bite into with my incisors. I just know it's going to leave a gloppy mess.
Spinach - I ate this in public once, early on, and literally spent ten minutes in the restroom brushing the green out of my teeth. Just when I thought I had the last of it, more migrated to the front of my mouth and wrapped around my archwire. My husband really teased me about this when I got back to the table.
Pesto (food of the gods, may I add) but the basil has a half life of about 24 hours. It just keeps magically appearing.
I've sworn off corn on the cob for the duration, at home or in public. Same with popcorn. Too much trouble.
When doing pasta I stick to penne, bowtie, ravioli, tortellini and avoid stringy type pasta.
I avoid sticky and hard candy.

At home not much is off limits, though I tend to stay away from nuts. I figure I can always clean up quickly.

I will second the problems with sushi. My daugter and I hit her favorite sushi bar several months back and oh.my.goodness. ... swish, swish, swish. Mighty tasty though and may be one of my first post-treatment meals!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

jaxxie118

#55 Post by jaxxie118 »

Anything with bread is just annoying and that's a big part of what I eat... especially a cheeseburger or anything with ketchup on it. There's always little pieces of reddish bread stuck everywhere. Eww, yeah it's quite gross. That's why I love my proxy brushes, lol. :)
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

usa1

#56 Post by usa1 »

No question about it. Raisin Bran cereal. You will wash out more than you swallow.
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

Henna_the_braceface

#57 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

plums! bits get stuck in ure teeth even with flossing!

SmileyGirl

#58 Post by SmileyGirl »

Salad. I LOVE salad, but man, I never thought that lettuce could work its way through and around all that metal like that. It's like it's braided in there! If it doesn't get woven through my braces, it lays flat against my gums and I have a heck of a time trying to inconspicuously de-suction it from my gums with my tongue if I'm in public (which I usually am when I'm having a salad).

Also, of course, rice, and the cabbage in the springrolls I love at Chinese. The cabbage gets wrapped around my expander for a double bonus.
Top brackets: 24 March 2006
Extractions: 21 April 2006
Expander: 28 April 2006

jzaboo

#59 Post by jzaboo »

I didn't have any problem at all with sushi, but almost chocked on the miso soup with a bit of spinach. I found that using a whole grain tortilla on my wraps keep them from mucking up the braces as much (better for you, too).

BraceFace12

#60 Post by BraceFace12 »

Mostly it's breads that get caught especially if they have anything like miracle whip/peanut butter on them. It really helps to get the bread stuck. Also Burgers are nasty cuz I always bite front teeth first into them. Also, anything with lettuce just feels and looks gross. My sister hates when I smile at her right after eating. It's almost like a fun game. Haha. I was brushing the other night and my mom happened to be in the bathroom as well. Let's just say she was amazed as to the amount of food thad had been trapped in my braces. She's like did you actually get to swallow anything?
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.