Stomach in knots!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

Stomach in knots!

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

This afternoon I will go to have my lower brace put on and also the upper molar bands and Nance appliance.
I had to phone in sick to work this morning :oops: because my stomach is so knotted up that I feel sick.

I'm quite an anxious person in general and I'm sure the experience will not be nearly as bad as I'm thinking. But I just wish 3PM would hurry up and come so I can get it done and over with. It's 9.45AM here in the UK at the moment.

Sorry for whinging.

claraleeza

#2 Post by claraleeza »

Hi Lisa65,

I guess all the Americans are asleep right now, so I thought I'd send a quick message to offer you support. I know it's easy to say, but don't worry. Getting your lower brace on will be fine. I haven't had experience with a Nance appliance, but I'm sure that will be fine too. Just be prepared that afterwards it will feel quite weird. That;'s what I felt anyway, not too much pain, just weirdness because the braces felt so big in my mouth (I had uppers and lowers on at once). IMPORTANT: Make sure you ask your orthodontist for some dental wax, because the braces are bound to rub at first, but trust me, even that will wear off after a week or so. And many people recommend salt water rinses, especially in the first few days. Your mouth will toughen up very fast.

If you're worried about attention you'll get from others after your brace(s) go on, don't worry, because you'll honestly get hardly any attention. I started a thread on exactly this topic a few days ago - "Weird that friends etc don't mention braces?" so if you haven't read that take a look because it seems everybody has had the same experience and it might comfort you.

Try not to worry because it really won't be so bad. And in the meantime, carbonated drinks help to quell feelings of sickness/nausea (it's something to do with the bubbles), but make sure you brush your teeth before going in for the braces as most carbonated drinks are full of sugar! Good luck!
Last edited by claraleeza on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bridget

#3 Post by Bridget »

Hi Lisa!

I just wanted to say: don't worry to much! You will be fine!!!

My experience was that sitting there and holding the mouth open was the most exhausting part - the rest really isn't t that bad, it's rather boring to be honest.

I got my upper and lower ceramics yesterday and it's just a weird feeling so far, but not pain or anything!

So just see it as the beginning of counting backwards to the day that your teeth will be all straight and great looking!!!!

All the best to you and don't worry!!!!

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

Bridget

#4 Post by Bridget »

Hi Lisa!

I just wanted to say: don't worry to much! You will be fine!!!

My experience was that sitting there and holding the mouth open was the most exhausting part - the rest really isn't t that bad, it's rather boring to be honest.

I got my upper and lower ceramics yesterday and it's just a weird feeling so far, but not pain or anything!

So just see it as the beginning of counting backwards to the day that your teeth will be all straight and great looking!!!!

All the best to you and don't worry!!!!

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

principessa

#5 Post by principessa »

Hi Lisa

As I'm typing this you will be on your way to your dentsist - so I'm wishing you all the best and hope you are okay when you get back. I had my brace fitted yesterday (top and bottom) and it feels so weird, my mouth doesn't seem to close properly (I've got a real "trout pout" going on!) but I'm hoping that my mouth will get used to all the extra bits in it!!!
Let us know how you get on when you're back Home.
It will be worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love
P xx :lol:

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

Thanks everyone, I am back now and it really wasn't that bad. I will post pics later (not now because I just ate a sandwich and need to do some major cleaning up)

Hugs
Lisa

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lisa,

I wish I'd seen your post earlier as I'd have offered my support too.

It's great to hear that you are now braced and well on your way. Did you get the TPA today too? Make sure you carry round your goody bag of wax. Let us all know how you get on and I look forward to seeing your pics later.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idislikebraces

#8 Post by Idislikebraces »

Oh with the nance appliance..which i have now! be sure to floss underneath it..i'm sure ur ortho told u that..cause thats wat she told me! nd keep up with it..cause I didnt do that for like a few weeks..nd now it hurts cause the skin around it is like growing over it..but really its just swollen...it hurts though.. :( BUT its a good thing! cause now i can have straight teeth! lol
Good Luck on ur journey throughout! :D
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!