The cure I wish I knew earlier

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ladygal

The cure I wish I knew earlier

#1 Post by ladygal »

I've read about people using salt water to help with the soreness, but no one really talks about the canker sores from poking wires and sharp braces.

Wax helps until you eat, then you either eat the wax or remove it. But rinsing with hydrogen peroxide works WONDERS!!!! You can buy the expensive Peroxyl ($11 at Walgreens) or just use hydrogen peroxide watered down half+half with water. The peroxide helps to heal them quickly. Surprisingly it doesn't taste too bad, if you don't like the taste just put a small dot of toothpaste in your mouth to cover the taste.

Rinse with it for 1 minute then rinse with just plain water(use the wax for a few days to help with the pain too). I got rid of my canker sores in just three days; I normally suffer with them almost a week.

I hope that helps a few people!!! :lol:

LP

#2 Post by LP »

Really? I would have never thought to put hydrogen peroxide in my mouth! I'll give it a whirl though. This wax thing is no fun. It comes off all the time and my teeth are really sore so to push against them with the wax is not fun :lol:

I'll try anything to help speed the process.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I used 6% Hydrogen peroxide diluted with 3 parts of water as a mouth rinse when I bit my cheek the other day, and the next day it was all healed up.

It's also good if you tend to get a coated tongue. I tend to get sinusitis and therefore sometimes am a mouth breather at night if my nose is too bunged up, but if you rinse your mouth out with the HP and brush your tongue with it too, all that yucky tongue fur comes off!

It's a mild bleaching agent so may also help to remove stains from your teeth.

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

It makes sense to me. I've known people to rinse with HP & water if they have a mouth sore.

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

Luckily touch wood! I don't have to use it. Salt Water does the trick...

I'm a bit concerned about the use of Hydrogen Peroxide. I know its in small amounts but its still like bleach isn't it? Its the stuff you use in hair colourants and household cleaners..

I'd be a bit worried using it.

nvcarissa

#6 Post by nvcarissa »

After my surgery I noticed that there appeared to be some whitish stuff around my sutures in my mouth and I took HP and a Qtip and applied directly. Fixed it right up. I am a firm believer in HP for skin cuts and infections. I had just never tried it in my mouth. Be sure to spit the rinse out!! The bottle says it is for external use only.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

The 6% HP in the UK says on the bottle that it can be used as a gargle or mouthwash, diluted 1:4

mad_scientist

#8 Post by mad_scientist »

Hydrogen peroxide is perfectly safe to use as a mouth rinse - if you look on the bottle, it will tell you how to dilute it to use in this manner. Of course, as with most mouth rinses, you shouldn't swallow it.

The concentration of peroxide you can purchase is different depending on where you are in the world (it's 3% here in the US), so follow the instructions on the bottle for the appropriate dilution.

Science lesson for the day: Hydrogen peroxide works through oxidation. Oxidation kills germs very effectively. Bleaching is a form of oxidation, so the terms are often used interchangeably.
Braces On: 5/22/06
Next adjustment: 7/27/06

nvcarissa

#9 Post by nvcarissa »

Thanks to all for clearing up the rinsing protocol for using HP.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

maneater82

#10 Post by maneater82 »

Try Carmex, too... You can find it at a lot of grocery stores and pharmacies, and it's got salicylic acid to help heal and menthol to cool the pain from rubbing... plus it work wonders for lip balm. :D Just gotta make sure you try to pat-dry the area by the sore before rubbing it on so it sticks.

principessa

#11 Post by principessa »

Hi! I've never heard of Hydrogen peroxide for mouth ulcers but will give it a try! Anyone know where in the UK you can get it from? :?:

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

Principessa, I asked in Boots and they were out of stock although they generally have it , but I got some in Superdrug for 75p.
There is a 6% and a 12% strength available. I bought the 6% and diluted it 1:4 with water but remember if you buy the 12% one you would need to do 1:8.

Kittysopretty

#13 Post by Kittysopretty »

Only use HP under the direction of a doctor. It damages new tissue growth in some cases and, for example, if you have a surgical wound, you are never to use HP.

Leslie022

#14 Post by Leslie022 »

Only use HP under the direction of a doctor. It damages new tissue growth in some cases and, for example, if you have a surgical wound, you are never to use HP.
I'm just curious...If HP was only meant to be used under the direction of a doctor, why would it be available without a prescription? Personally, I think it's a great product...especially when the dog decides to scratch my arm!!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

jaxxie118

#15 Post by jaxxie118 »

My ortho gave me Peroxyl and it has worked wonders on sores and such. And the salt water rinses help as well. Glad you finally found something that helps. :wink:
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months