Sanding Down and Leveling Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Sanding Down and Leveling Teeth

#1 Post by Chris »

For those of you with chips and uneven teeth, did your ortho do any shaving down of your teeth just prior to debanding and did it change your bite in any way?

I noticed that some people have their canines and other pointy teeth shaved down somewhat.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ingyandbert

#2 Post by ingyandbert »

Personally, I would get the top corner of that tooth contoured. It's not that it sticks up that much, but because the other end slopes downward it looks more uneven. That's just my personal preference.

dcw

#3 Post by dcw »

Mone were done about 6 months into treatment

Almost cried when my two front teeth were the same length

Male born in 1955

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

I had it done on my two front teeth at my last adjustment. At the same adjustment, they took out the globs of cement in my molars. I'm guess my ortho shaped the teeth for aesthetic reasons and to keep my teeth from hitting the brackets??? Not sure but it looks tons better!

Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Chris, I can't answer your question because I haven't had it done yet, but I think I will have to have some on the lower front shaped a little. I know I have to have the sides shaved off a little to try to get rid of the black triangles I've developed now that they are not overlapping anymore.

Maryaten, I did want to respond to your remark about your midline changing. My midline has moved from one side to the other about 4 times since I've gotten braces. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure they will address that before you are finished.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Shawnie

#6 Post by Shawnie »

Leslie022 - I just wanted to say that the shaping of your two front teeth looks really nice.

Chris - Sorry I don't have any information for you on this topic.
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

erica

#7 Post by erica »

My ortho did some minor shaping about 12 months into my treatment to fix some very obvious chips in my two upper front teeth - it made a big difference. At my debanding, he then smoothed out all of my front upper and lower teeth (including rounding out the canines a bit), and I swear that the shaping improved my smile even more than the nearly two years in braces did! Because only my front teeth were shaped, it didn't alter my bite in any way.
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Thanks for all the replies. I've got to have my bottom fronts shaped and those have an impact on my bite so I just wondered if anyone else had those done too?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jennandtonic

#9 Post by jennandtonic »

I haven't had shaping done yet, but they've told me they're going to do it at some point. I've got ridges on almost all of my front teeth and teeth that are misshapen from having to grow in under baby teeth. I don't know when they'll do it, but I've been assured it won't mess up my bite or chewing abilities. They said if anything, those two things will improve.

fins

#10 Post by fins »

I haven't been told I need any reshaping and I probably won't get it done, even though there is one tooth that is a bit longer on one side. I think my ortho is using bends to bring teeth down a bit and consequently it gives a bit of a level look. But my...you should see the bends in the archwire!

Echo

#11 Post by Echo »

One of my top front teeth was just a tad bit longer than the other, so I had that filed down. I asked about having other teeth shaped a bit and I was told they would do that when I get my braces off, which will be in September!
[/url]