Newbie with Questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Newbie with Questions

#1 Post by Paws917 »

Hi!

I am 46 yrs. old and just got braces last Friday. My teeth are straight, but they have a lot of spaces in between them. I especially have a wide space between my two front teeth. I had those teeth bonded a long time ago to close up the space and it worked well until about a year ago when a little corner of the bonding broke off one tooth. After investigating all my options, I decided to take care of the problem once and for all with braces. I got ceramics on the top and regular metal ones on the bottom. The ortho said I'll need them about a year. So far, it's not too bad, but I have some questions.

1. What are the brackets with the little appendage attached?

2. I've read some of the posts on this board, but I haven't seen anyone mention talking with braces on. I feel like I'm talking with a mouth full of marbles! And I know I slur my words, even though my husband says I don't.

3. Some of my teeth feel sore, but not so sore that I need to take something. When I got the braces on, they said they were going to give me about six weeks to get used to them and on my next visit, they'd start moving them around. I really hate to think that I'm wasting these six weeks. Do you think the sore teeth are indicative of SOME movement or is that all in my imagination?

4. I seem to be afraid to chew my found thoroughly. I find myself eating very soft foods, like pasta and eggs, and chewing it a bit and then swallowing. I know I'm not chewing it enough, because I've choked (not badly) a couple of times in the last few days. I think I'm afraid of wrecking the braces if I chew normally. Has anyone experienced this fear? How well adhered are these things anyway? My husband (who had braces) tells me I can eat whatever I want, with the exception of the stuff on the NO list, and that I can eat normally, but it just does not feel right!

Sorry to ramble like this, but I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole!

Thanks!

Erin

Paws917

#2 Post by Paws917 »

Thanks so much for the info and reassurance! The link you provided with the different types of brackets was very helpful. I see the ones I am asking about pictured, but not labeled. They are to the immediate left of the one labeled BRACKET in the photo.

Thanks again!

Erin

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

Oh, okay. That's kind of what I thought they were for, but I wasn't sure. When my husband had braces, he had the actual hooks. I never saw the kind I have before.

Thank you!

Erin

Paws917

#4 Post by Paws917 »

Thank you so much for that fascinating link about the stages of orthodontic treatment! I feel like I understand it much better now and that will help me be patient.

I have to tell you all what a great website this is. I've already told a friend of mine about it who is due for braces in the next few months!

Thanks again!

Erin