Waterpik Help Please! I must be special

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ucldbmine

Waterpik Help Please! I must be special

#1 Post by ucldbmine »

So I ran out and bought a waterpik yesterday because everyone on here raves about them. I got the cordless rechargable version. First time I tried to use it I think more water ended up in my nose, on the mirror, over the floor and soaking my clothes than what stayed in my mouth. Of course there aren't really directions with it just a couple of pictures telling you how to charge it and put the adapter pieces on.

Someone please tell me how to use this thing! Do I have to keep my mouth closed while doing it? I tried that but seems I had to turn it off every couple of seconds to spit out the water lol :oops:

Dramagyrl

Why?

#2 Post by Dramagyrl »

Can someone tell me more about the waterpick and why it's so popular among people on here? I have a great ortho, but he seems to be pretty basic and doesn't require a lot of extra tools. When I got the braces on I was asking about a bunch of things and tools, including a toothbrush with the small batch of bristles to clean brackets (I think). He told me I wouldn't need it and didn't encourage much more than basic care. There wasn't a particular toothpaste he suggested, nothing like that.
Now I hear all about the waterpick and I wonder if it's something I should be trying anyway? I was very prone to cavities before the braces, so I am trying to make sure I pay special care in the hygiene department. If a waterpick will help, I'd like to try it.

ucldbmine

#3 Post by ucldbmine »

The box says healthier gums in 14 days guaranteed so must do something good.. If I can ever figure out how to use it I'll let you know if it helps.

ucldbmine

#4 Post by ucldbmine »

I agree.. nothing is absolutely necessary extra but I've been trying out all the nick nacks to see what makes it easier. antything that speeds the process up even a bit is worth it to me as brushing 4 times a day at 15 minutes each time adds up lol. I can say that I have bought more toothbrushes in the last month than I had in the last 2 years or so. Finally the one that works the best for me is a childs brush I bought 2 for $1 at the dollar store. Small head soft bristles makes it easier to get on both top and bottom of brackets.

mindwaves

#5 Post by mindwaves »

Special? Nah, we must be BOTH special!! Havea read!!

viewtopic.php?t=12137

:D

ucldbmine

#6 Post by ucldbmine »

What a machine this is. I can't believe how much pressure you get from it. I was expecting something along the lines of the water thing at the dentist OH MY was I ever wrong. My tongue stings! Can't remember the last time my gums bled like they did after I used this thing either. I'm going to take that as a good sign that it's getting up under the gums.

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I have both the regular WaterPik and the cordless one. The cordless one doesn't have anywhere near the pressure of the regular one. If you have the regular one that plugs in I recommend using it on the lowest setting with WARM water at first. Gradually up the pressure. I never use the highest pressure on my gums, but I do blast the heck out of my brackets with it on highest. I always get comments from the ortho on how clean they are.

You can put some mouthwash in the resevior if you can stand the foam in your mouth. I can't. My husband and daughter love it. My friend's dentist recommended putting some hydrogen peroxide in the water to help her gum. My husband and friend both went from having deep cleanings every 3 months to regular cleanings every 6 months and the only difference is the WaterPik.

I can't imagine having braces without one. Funny thing too I think. They haven't changed much in over 30 years. I had one when I got married in 1973. Wore it out...don't know why but we didn't replace it till I got braces last year.
Last edited by Way Too Old For This on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Not to hijack the post, but I'd like to ask Maryaten what that is a picture of under her name. Am I just not cool or something? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Dramagyrl

Sold

#9 Post by Dramagyrl »

Alright, I'm sold.
Going to the store tomorrow to check out models and prices to find one for myself. I'm only a week into this, I might as well invest in something that sounds like will be extremely helpful.
Thanks.

claraleeza

#10 Post by claraleeza »

At everybody's recommendation, I have ordered a waterpik but it hasn't arrived yet. But just one quick question to those who use it regularly: do you tend to use it before or after you brush/floss your teeth?

Pirate Wench

#11 Post by Pirate Wench »

I am sold too........I think I will go out and buy one as soon as I get paid next time..... :thumbsup:

It will be nice to not have to brush my teeth every time I have a snack. I have to admit....having braces is a heck of a diet plan. I have lost almost 10 pounds in the last month. I had been too lazy to loose the last 10 pounds from my pregnacy 4 years ago. As soon as I got the braces I started to loose. I simply stopped snacking because I didn't want to be brushing my teeth 40 times a day! :lol: I don't want to loose any more weight so I would like to start snacking again.....sounds like the Waterpik will definately help!

:jump: Happy Snacking :jump:

Way Too Old For This

#12 Post by Way Too Old For This »

But just one quick question to those who use it regularly: do you tend to use it before or after you brush/floss your teeth
Sometimes before and sometimes after. Sometimes I just do a quick runthrough with the WaterPik after I've eaten. As soon as you get yours and get used to it you'll see that nothing makes your mouth feel as clean. My usual routine in the morning and night is brush then waterpik. I fill the resevoir on the plug in model completely full and waterpik till it is empty....at least twice a day. Then if I'm home I waterpik after meals or snacks. I don't use the cordless model much. I thought I would bring it to work but it turned out to be a little too big and too much trouble. And I don't like the way you have to fill it with water four times to do a good job. But I do use it when I travel.

I must admit that I hardly ever floss. I know the waterpik doesn't replace flossing, but the report from my last cleaning was the best I've ever had and that was after 6 months of having braces. I usually get a little lecture about my back molars and needing to floss more but last time everything was "just perfect, keep up the good work". And I don't floss. I'm not recommending anyone quit flossing, but for those of us who don't (and I know there are more out there besides me....confess), the waterpik helps. (I'm not sure I would have this faith in the cordless model though as it does NOT do the job that the corded model does. I would say the cordless model is good for getting stuck food out of brackets, but not cleaning the gum line like the corded model can)

claraleeza

#13 Post by claraleeza »

Many thanks Way Too Old for This and kk (yet again!). I'm looking forward to trying it out. I too am in a country that doesn't sell Waterpiks - so thank heavens for ebay! I'm thinking if I like it I might also buy one for my dad because he's been having gum problems - have you guys noticed an improvement in your gum health since using the Waterpik? Maybe this will be the magic gadget that will solve all his problems!
Last edited by claraleeza on Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tin_grin

#14 Post by tin_grin »

After reading all these posts I left the room to use my Water Pik.. and am I glad I did!! Thanks everyone for the good advice.

I'm 38 years old and I just got mine on yesterday (ceramics; tx time 18-24 mos), and have a couple of questions... sorry if you've heard them many times before:

Do adjustments hurt more than initial placement? I was expecting horrendous pain and so far had minimal soreness today. Also, nobody told me that my molars would not touch and THAT'S why you have to eat soft foods for a while, not b/c of pain. My top teeth hit my bottom brackets. My doc called me last night to check on me and he said that they should settle in a few days. Is this true?

Thanks for any advice!

Anne

Dramagyrl

Cordless

#15 Post by Dramagyrl »

Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision.... :?

I just picked up a cordless model and was planning to finish dinner and go try it out. I spent a lot of time deciding which I wanted, but now it sounds like I should have gotten one with a tank?