Spacers!?!?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jzaboo

#16 Post by jzaboo »

I had had gaps and my wisdom teeth are well formed, so he's going to bring them and my adjacent teeth on each side forward to fill the gaps. I'm sure power chains, elastics and all those other implements of torture will be involved.

Gennel

#17 Post by Gennel »

I wish my ortho would consider bringing my wisdom teeth forward. At least my bottom wisdom teeth. I have 4 extraction gaps on the bottom and I will only have 1premolar and 2nd molar on the bottom on each side.
I would like to chew one day! lol Right now I can't really chew because of all the extractions.

Gennel

calypsojunky

ouch!

#18 Post by calypsojunky »

Spacers for me were, unfortunately, the worst part of my braces experience so far. I'm jealous of everyone else who said it felt like some food stuck between their teeth. I had already been braced at that point, with the one bracket on that tooth having popped off. My orthodontist decided to put in a band instead. I had only two spaces put in one side of my mouth (for banding of the one tooth) and it was pretty awful, even in comparison to getting the actual braces. I guess with my jaw being pretty small in the first place, and my whole problem being crowding, the spacers pushed against my gum in the back so that it swelled for weeks, and crowded the front teeth, causing them to ache.
So yeah...
Sorry. It was a bad experience for me.

jzaboo

#19 Post by jzaboo »

I'm concerned that 2 days after I get the teeth banded, I'm going to spend 2 weeks in Europe on business (hopefully with some fun interspersed). At least I won't have the spacers in, but I anticipate some discomfort. I hope I can eat, or at least not feel miserable!

calypsojunky

yeah

#20 Post by calypsojunky »

For me, the banding was nothing compared to the spacers.
I was just so relieved to have those little monsters out of my mouth, the band was a breeze in comparison.

momofbrock

#21 Post by momofbrock »

Well, I just had one heluva afternoon. At 1:00 I went in to have my tooth pulled. Turns out I have "unusually wide roots" so it took her almost 40 minutes to get it out after much much jimmying and pulling and more jimmying. I felt no pain, just a lot of gross feelings and a lot of pressure. And that is something you don't want to take that long. Yuck.

Then at 2:30 I got 8 spacers put in. Thankfully she would put them in despite the fact my mouth was all bloody. The stinkin hole won't stop bleeding. Since it took so long and my roots were so wide my gums are pretty tore up in that spot. 3 hours later it's still bleeding. Not a lot, but it's bleeding. The dentist said since she had to do so much pulling my jaw will probably be pretty sore for a week.... but I won't know if it's from that or the spacers so I guess it's all good. :wink:

The little blue devils they put between my teeth are hurting worse every minute. And I need to leave for work. This will be an interesting night. :?

momofbrock

#22 Post by momofbrock »

I'm learning that if I take two Tylenol every hour and a half to 2 hours the pain is minimal. Can still feel the spacers pushing my teeth, though.

I think when I get up in the morning I'm gonna be one sore cookie.
Wow, what a big gap that missing tooth made.... sure hope my ortho knows what he's doin!!!!!! :P

Braces go on next Wednesday! I'm getting excited; there's no turning back now!!! :lol:

momofbrock

#23 Post by momofbrock »

:shock: One of my spacers fell out already. Does this mean my teeth were apparently roomy enough there or should I call my ortho tomorrow and get one crammed back in that spot????

momofbrock

#24 Post by momofbrock »

Wow, what a feeling when I got up this morning. Pain meds definately wore off while I was sleeping. :roll:
Pain and stale blood. My mouth is disgusting today. And I must admit.... yesterday I was okay with them but today I'm about to rip each spacer out myself. I can feel them pushin my teeth around including the tooth next to my new empty bloody gap.... which is pushing the tooth into my bloody empty gap. And it hurts.
And I hate it. :oops:

Braces in 6 days. I'm going to go take some Tylenol.

momofbrock

#25 Post by momofbrock »

Well I called the ortho yesterday and she said as long as only one spacer fell out it's not a biggy.... said that could mean there was already enough room between those two teeth cuz they should never just FALL out. The others are in there so snug I don't think I could pluck them out if I tried..... and believe me that's all I've thought about for the past 2 days.
OWY!

I have to say they hurt even worse today than they did yesterday but I'll live. That's what Ibuprofen is for!
:D