Normal to band a bicuspid?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vctorascrt

Normal to band a bicuspid?

#1 Post by vctorascrt »

I have just spacers in now and am scheduled to be braced on Tuesday. My big question seems to be bands vs. brackets. I have two spacers on each side on top (I have no wisdom teeth) and three on each side on the bottom. So, from what I can figure out, the ortho wants to band my first and second molars and a biscuspid? I can't figure this out. My second molars on both sides have crowns, but I think I'm going to protest banding the bicuspid. When I said something, all he would tell me is about his 25 years experience and that he knew what was best. ARGH, they're my teeth! It seems strange to need to band those two teeth, has anyone else had this experience?

TIA!
Vicki

names of teeth:

http://dentalimplants-usa.com/Generalin ... hpics.html

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

I have all but one of my molars banded, as well as one bicuspid.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Henna_the_braceface

#3 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

cool! I never knew you could band bicuspids!

rmwolf83

#4 Post by rmwolf83 »

Hmmm I never thought about banding the bicuspids being not normal. I have a bicuspid on each side banded. I thought it seemed a little weird when my ortho did it, but I didn't reallythink anything of it, being new to all of this and all I just figured hey, he knows what he's doing. But now I think I'll question it. It's probably because of my fillings, but I'd still like to know for sure why he did it. I had three spacers on each side on the top and one on each side on the bottom (I already had gaps due to some missing molars!). Now I have eleven teeth banded. Five on the bottom (2 left / 3 right) and six on the top (3 and 3).

On a side note, can brackets be bonded to teeth with composite fillings? One of my upper bicuspids is due to have a bracket bonded to it on Tuesday, and the tooth is comprised mainly of composite filling material as it was broken a few years back.

I'll let everyone know what my ortho says about the banded bicuspids on Tuesday after my next appointment.

~Rachel

jaswi

#5 Post by jaswi »

I wouldn't think anything of a band on a bicuspid, bands really aren't that bad. Remember, back in the day, they used to band EVERY tooth.

rmwolf83

#6 Post by rmwolf83 »

I'm so dumb so times.....my top bicuspids are banded also. You're right jaswi they really aren't that bad. I can't imagine having my whole mouth look like that though! That would be horrible!!!! Thank goodness for modern technology!