Anxiety.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ariesinatl

Anxiety.

#1 Post by Ariesinatl »

Hi all,

I've been braced 7 months now, and they switched doctors on me last adjustment. A few days later my back lower molar bracket came off, and I had to go in for an emergency visit. I told him It had happened before, not sure if it was the same side though. He said he wanted to put a molar band on to keep it in place, so he tried to get me to get spacers in. I insisted on having him just replace the regular bracket and with alot of
"back and forth" and dealing with "doctor knows best attitude" he relented and replaced it. He placed the bracket too high and my upper molar was hitting the bracket. When the assistant told him it was hitting, his reply was "well the old bracket must have been hitting but you just didn't notice it, otherwise the new archwire wouldn't have fit in". So they removed the bracket and cut my wire short. And now I'm heading in for my appointment today, and it was scheduled for spacers and lig replacement.

The whole issue I have, is his attitude and the fact that he came into my treatment halfway through and decided to change up my treatment to include spacers and a molar band. My bite is perfect as of now, and don't believe I need a molar band just for the sake of his sloppy placement of the bracket.

I also think part of this issue is that he's a young doctor, maybe a little younger than me. Lots of bravado and swagger attitude.

How can I deal with this without losing my temper and present my case in a casual adult manner. I really suck at confrontations.

Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

I don't know how to answer this question because I tend to listen to my ortho and go with his recommendations. Having said that I don't have any molar bands except one on my crown. However if they started falling off, I would find it quite inconvenient for both me and the ortho.

What is the worst thing that could happen if you just let the doctor put the molar band on if he wants to? Why are you resisting the molar band so much?

I just had a bracket fall off of a premolar and when the ortho put the bracket back on it was definitely not the same. I looked in the mirror and it seemed the change wasn't that bad so I didn't say anything, although it sure was painful to have that bracket moved. It was like having an adjustment between adjustements.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Ariesinatl

#3 Post by Ariesinatl »

I'm against the molar band because It's only being placed there to anchor the bracket, and in order to get the band in, I have to get spacers which will spread the back 3 molars apart thus changing my bite.

My original doctor suggested not even getting bottom braaces as my teeth were almost straight, but could use a little ortho if I wanted it. Now my bottoms are completely straight, my bite is good, and I want to focus on the main issue, my top front teeth.

I suppose I could just let him go ahead with the molar band and see what happens, but It seems like so much trouble, to deal with. I'll have to come back in 2 weeks to get the molar band after the spacers. And also I'm worried about my bite getting off.

My orginal doctor, left the dental group to start his own practice. I called him and asked how I would go about tranferring to him, but he said he couldn't accept previous patients, because they had him sign a contract when he left.

So I'm a little disappointed with this customer experience.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi. Sounds like you are having a tough time there. :(
There comes a time when we all have to face our "I'm not good at this" moments, I am sometimes short tempered too. I hate the "doctor knows best" attitude, it's no less than ridiculous. My advice is you should be pushy and rude if necessary in order to get your way.
People just give up when they realize we are stubborn.
With me, it's my way or highway :) I just bit** and wine if I don't get it my way.
:D
Good luck, and remember that sometimes a little rudeness isn't a crime.

Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have to agree with Maryaten. I think you are losing more energy over this than it would take to just deal with the molar bands. I really don't think they will mess up your bite.

Nobody ever said braces was gonna be easy...
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Ariesinatl

#6 Post by Ariesinatl »

As an update,

I had a talk with him and asked him to take a look and talk with me about my treatment plan. I also said I'd rather not get the molar band if it wasn't absolutly necessary. He replies "We do this all the time, it's not a big deal" But then after looking at my bite and teeth, he granted that a molar band wasn't necessary and he didn't even need to replace the bracket.

So he backed up my treatment and put smaller wires on to rotate my canines. He also said my front teeth are pretty much done, but I don't think they are. But, this time I'll just not say anything and let him do his thing. I also think that the overbooking thats so prevalent in this industry certainly doesn't help.

I think some doctors and dentist are fragile and easily bruised. Mine being one of those. I'll just let him continue to do what he thinks best and if it's not acceptable towards the end I'll raise holy hell.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

I have to say.......you did a great job of taking care of yourself and your treatment. I know we don't have the trainning the orthos have, but I do believe we know what has been working for us and what hasn't been!

Good for you being able to keep your cool and being able to listen to what he had to say as well.

As for letting him do his thing......good call.....as long as the end result is what you are looking for then there is no reason to get freaked out. Unless he starts adding appliances that were not planned for before.....then I would definately be questioning him once again.