Braced! (I made it!)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katiari

Braced! (I made it!)

#1 Post by Katiari »

Well, it's official... I'm braced! It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it wasn't as pleasant as some of you have had. All-in-all it wasn't really terribly, but I do have alot of chaffing from the brackets on my cheeks. I didn't end up needing any appliances, just a lingual button on the left upper 6 that is driving my tongue absolutely crazy! I haven't learned to eat yet either as they gave me bumpers on a couple of my lower teeth to keep me from biting into my lower braces.

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers but I still decided to celebrate my braciness and go with color ligs right out the starting gate!

(The goldish color doesn't show through really all that well with a flash... I end up looking like a 1990's McDonalds straw in this picture! >.<

P.S. How much pressure can you put on a bracket before it pops off? I forgot to ask about that and now I don't know how careful I have to be. The bumpers are attached to one of the lower non-banded teeth and I am afraid that I would put too much pressure on it and break the bracket off that it is connected to.

Anyways... ;)

mamabracito

#2 Post by mamabracito »

Welcome to the 'club' Katiari. Like you I am new to the world of braces. I got mine on July 18th so I'm a little ahead of you lol. Don't worry you will get used to them. Though I'm still not yet use to eating but I've been told I will be able to it solids. I'm eating a lot more then the first and second day though. I find my Boosts make me feel better :lol: . Well hope you have a comfortable first few days and remember to take it easy and slowly. Don't rush anything until your sure your ready to start eating normal again.

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

Katiari

#3 Post by Katiari »

The lingual button is already in use... :( Not only does it chafe my tongue but it obviously makes the tooth it is rotating sensitive! Can I wax that little button without undue consequences?

Oh, and my guide wire sticks ever so slightly out the back of the upper right side and really causes me issues. Will I eventually develop a callous there if I just grin and bare it (no pun intended)? I've had to wax today there, for the first time because it was just getting too unbarable...

Pirate Wench

#4 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-1 WELCOME FELLOW BRACEFACE :-1

I just had my 1st adjustment and have a wire barely sticking out the back too. I have already called my ortho office and it is any easy fix according to the ortho. They just need to snip the wire closer to the bracket so it isn't scratching. Until I go in I can get away with wax until Monday. I was offered to come in today (Saturday), but I think I can deal with it (with the help of my wax) until Monday.

Good luck with your new adventure. Make sure you wax, salt water rinse, brush, and try to eat.

:tingrin:

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

Congratulations on getting braced. Welcome to the adventure!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.