Am I retarded?!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

At last

Am I retarded?!?!

#1 Post by At last »

lol I cant for the life of me seem to figure out how to floss with these wires!! I am thinking that maybe I am retarded but not sure... anyway please tell me how you do it?!?! I realize it will take longer, but I cant do it at all!! :Questions:

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006
All metal Braces ~ Jul 11, 2006
Est. Treatment time ~ 18 months

mindwaves

#2 Post by mindwaves »

Do you have floss threaders? Thread it through like a needle and floss at normal. Annoying, but it works. However, I should be getting my electric flosser thing today in the mail so I hope that works better and easier than manual flossing.

mtb_nwbraces

#3 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

Here is what I did. Throw the floss threader in the trash. Go to the local store and by the pre-cut floss with the threaded end used for floss under dental work. Push the threaded end under your wire and between the teeth and pull it through. Floss like you normally do then pull the floss out from behind your wire.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

susieq182

#4 Post by susieq182 »

You would think that as important as it is to floss they would tell you how to do it before they send you on your way.

Floss threaders or floss with a harder end will make it alot easier. then technique varies from there i suppose. I feel its easier to thread down from the top of the wire on my uppers and up from the bottom side of the wire on the lowers. at first i tried to thread the floss all the way between my teeth but it is much easier to just get the floss threaded through the wire then floss "as usual". lots of do dads and such out there to help, but mostly it just takes practice and learning how is easiest for you. If you get the threaders try tying the end of the floss to it so you dont have to deal with the floss slipping out of the threader.

dont feel retarded there is nothing wrong with you there are lots of people who have trouble flossing. I remember at first it was way hard i got the floss all tangled on my brackets and had to have my dad help get it out.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

At last

#5 Post by At last »

Thank you everyone!! I figured it out last night.. went and got some of the floss with thicker ends and it was much easier... only took me like thirty minutes but I did it!!

Spacers ~ June 21, 2006
All metal Braces ~ Jul 11, 2006
Est. Treatment time ~ 18 months

Pirate Wench

#6 Post by Pirate Wench »

:thumbsup: I am so glad you figured it out!!!! :thumbsup:

It takes some practice and the 30 min time line will definately come down. I only have uppers right now and the first time I flossed it took about 20 min......now I can do it in under 5 min.

Good luck!

lesley

#7 Post by lesley »

I hate this flossing! I just finished my invisalign treatment and now have perma wires on the top and bottom. My teeth have always been quite close together and I can't get the oral B superfloss through some of my teeth. I hate the feeling of the threader thing and i can get that through - but once both sides have to go through in order to get to the actual floss, it actually kind of hurts.

I have just started to use a pick instead.

Is there any other floss which might be harder than the Oral B Superfloss? or any other things?
HELP!

missing_tooth

#8 Post by missing_tooth »

Best thing out there that I have found for me is by crest, bridge floss. One end is stiff yet flexable, and it's the glide floss. It's the only floss I've found that I can get in my braces and floss around my molar bands with out shreding.

Love them

- Missing Tooth -

LP

#9 Post by LP »

I've given up on the Super Floss and all that other fancy stuff. I just curl the end of a piece of regular floss with my thumb nail and hook it around the wire and pull it through.

I had such a hard time grabbing that stiff end of the floss. :roll:

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

LP wrote:I've given up on the Super Floss and all that other fancy stuff. I just curl the end of a piece of regular floss with my thumb nail and hook it around the wire and pull it through.

I had such a hard time grabbing that stiff end of the floss. :roll:
Ha ha!!

I have this problem from time to time, so grab the stiff end with a pair of tweezers and give it a yank to get it going.

mamabracito

#11 Post by mamabracito »

I am amazed that your ortho didn't show you how to floss. That was the first thing they showed me. I use the threader lol and no it's not fun. Maybe I'm going to give that thicker floss I try. Thanks for the idea.

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

mamabracito

#12 Post by mamabracito »

Kiwi,
My ortho gave me a goodie bag too :lol: . I felt like a kid in a candy store :lol: . He gave me everything I needed and said when I run out to call him for more. He gave me a little brush, can't remember what he called it, but I love it. I use to between the braces and rub it on my gums. Makes everything feel much better :lol: .

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

lesley

#13 Post by lesley »

I was shown how to floss, but I really do not like the threader thing b/c it is too thick for my teeth, but I can't get superfloss through.

nvcarissa

#14 Post by nvcarissa »

'ortho supplies' drawer
For some reason, the visual of this cracks me up. Mainly 'cuz I have one of my own!!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.