Brown/stained teeth since brace

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emrar

Brown/stained teeth since brace

#1 Post by emrar »

Hey guys,

I had my brace fitted a month ago also with a tpa. I am over the pain n ow but the thing is my teeth have dramatically changed colour??? very yellow and brown and its most upsetting. I brush alot and after every meal. Does anyone have any advice? as I would rather have wonky white teeth thatn braced or straight brown teeth!

Hope everyone is well, hang in there its worth it in the end!
em xxxx

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

Hi, I really hope that your teeth are ok, and that they are just discolored.

But I heard a most horrific story from this guy whose daughter had braces. It turns out that the ortho moved her teeth too fast, and that caused the roots to die, along with the teeth. Her teeth became brown because of it.

I am not sure if this really is a common experience, but I would definitely voice your concerns to your ortho asap just to make sure.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Are you by any chance using a chlorhexidine mouthwash? It can discolor teeth.
If not, I'd definitely voice your concerns next time you go for an adjustment.

Katiari

#4 Post by Katiari »

If you are using a fluoride mouthwash too much you can develop fluoridosis (or fluorosis). This will cause your teeth to turn brown.

Fluoridosis results from the rearrangement of the crystalline structure of teeth due to excessive fluoride presence.

Just an idea, sorry if it doesn't help any.

Kelly

emrar

thanks

#5 Post by emrar »

thanks guys. I am going to stop usuing mouth wash and consult my dentist as this is horrible i dont even want to leave the house!!1

have a good weekend xx

Katiari

#6 Post by Katiari »

What moutwash were you using, just curious.

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

what mouthwash are you using? I think its recommended to use a fluoride mouthwash once a day while you have braces.
The chlorhexidine one is usually called Corsodyl in the UK.

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

snap katiari lol

Katiari

#9 Post by Katiari »

Haha, beat you to the punch! ;)

To recap the last four posts:

What was the mouthwash you used?

emrar

fluoride

#10 Post by emrar »

mouthwash? so may be it is not that..

arrgghh who knows but surely they would not change so dramatically in the one month i have had the brace from food? Maybe a scale by my dentist would help. The thing is I am lucky as a trainee ortho is doing my work for free but not so lucky as he has given me no advice ass does not seem to care. I had an emergancy appointment to fix wire on thursday i said about staining...his reply hum your teeth are very mobile. They did not even have the correct wire etc so had to improvise whilst he was telling me for a cheap price when its off he will whiten them out of the dental hospital.I always have tooth problems, infection..arrrgghh Its not like when you are paying you can change dentists! Sorry about moan and thanks for listening and sound advice.

How nice is everyone on here? I may just hang out here!!! haha

Hope your all well and not having any brace face problems!

Katiari

#11 Post by Katiari »

Still curious what type of mouthwash you are using...

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

I wouldn't have thought that your teeth would change colour this drastically in one month just from food, especially if you are brushing them thoroughly. Are you by any chance brushing too hard? That can erode the enamel and cause discolouration. You should brush thoroughly but gently!

Use a fluoride-containing mouthwash once a day (preferably last thing at night so it stays on your teeth the longest time) but don't use a mouthwash containing chlorhexidine as that can cause staining.

I'd definitely go and see your dentist as soon as possible though. You want to find out what's causing it before it gets any worse.

emrar

its just

#13 Post by emrar »

a supermarket branded total care mouthwash that contains fluoride

x

Katiari

#14 Post by Katiari »

How many times a day do you use that mouthwash?

emrar

twice

#15 Post by emrar »

a day. Katiari I see you have only been braced a day, how you feeling?