Brown/stained teeth since brace

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emrar

twice

#16 Post by emrar »

a day. Katiari I see you have only been braced a day, how you feeling?

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

Emrar, if you think the staining is from food (do you eat a lot of curry, or do you smoke?) you could try Peroxyl mouthwash - they sell it in Boots. It can help reduce staining. It doesn't have fluoride in it though, so you would still need to use the supermarket one as well.

Katiari

#18 Post by Katiari »

How am I feeling after a day? Not so hot at all, but thanks for asking, lol!

As far as the teeth issue, if you are using that fluoride rinse ALOT than you may be developing what I was talking about above. Fluoride is a trace mineral and it doesn't take a whole lot of it to start having issues.

Dramagyrl

#19 Post by Dramagyrl »

What kinds of brackets is it?
I was told the clear elastics on ceramics only will discolour, but sometimes it looks like the whole bracket is stained. I haven't even been braced a month and it's the same for me (I'm bad and I smoke so it stained a bit faster). My hope is that everything just looks more yellow than it is and that the stain isn't actually there.

Hope that's the case for you and not something bad.

tictac

#20 Post by tictac »

If you are using a fluoride mouthwash too much you can develop fluoridosis (or fluorosis). This will cause your teeth to turn brown.

Fluoridosis results from the rearrangement of the crystalline structure of teeth due to excessive fluoride presence.
You can't get fluorosis on fully formed teeth in the mouth, only on teeth that are still developing.

Luna

#21 Post by Luna »

It could be the excess glue that has stained rather than the teeth themselves. My ortho warned me about this when he fitted my brackets and said he would remove any excess glue that he couldn't see now at the next appointment. He said the excess glue will always go yellow very quickly. They can just sand this away easily.

sjsarre

#22 Post by sjsarre »

I have noticed the yellow staining the excess glue from my brackets.. I've got these wonderful brackets that are hardly noticeable and the ligs which are lovely and clear now (free of curry stain) but the glue I have noticed is a nice yellow colour...

I think I will point that out at my next visit. Also i've noticed one of my incisors on top has a slight brown staining to it, which wasn't there before (apart from the other staining which has been there for years)..