all ceramic vs combo deal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dimeech

thanks

#16 Post by dimeech »

Thanks everyone! I eat mustard (well, not all by itself!) and tomato-saucy things, but it's nice to know it may be more manageable to chew on the back teeth mostly and hopefully avoid some staining!

I will keep you posted w/pics when I get them on!

missing_tooth

#17 Post by missing_tooth »

All metal and love it.

- Missing Tooth -

nvcarissa

#18 Post by nvcarissa »

Started out with ceramics on my top 6 social. At three months I was still not used to the larger size of them and how much more abrasive they felt in my mouth compared to the smaller metal brackets on the rest of my teeth. So, I switched to all metal and have had no regrets. Ceramic isn't visible from a distance, but is up close, so my final decision to change to metal was strictly based on my personal comfort.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Betty Bat

#19 Post by Betty Bat »

I have sapphire (clear) uppers and metal lowers. When I look at my teeth and see the difference between how the uppers look and how the lowers look, I'm really glad that I have clear uppers.

This is just my opinion - I'm 54 (just had a birthday).

ucldbmine

#20 Post by ucldbmine »

I am 30 also and was in same exact boat as you. I was almost dead set on ceramics when I finally decided to get braces but found out you can't get Damon's in full ceramic. Then I had to decide wether I wanted to cut treatment time in half and get damons that were metal (upper front 6 is 1/2 ceramic 1/2 metal so appears smaller) or go for ceramics and the can't see me from a distance look. Finally in the end I decided I'd rather have the shorter treatment time. It's all a personal choice and depends what you are comfortable with. I'm glad I made the decision I did because it was right for my expectations. Only you can choose what's right for you.

cassie

#21 Post by cassie »

i went with ceramic on top, metal on bottom and i'm really happy with that. they're a bit more abrasive, but much less noticable. my doc never told me that they take longer. Even so, my top is in pretty good shape (presumably will move quickly anyway), and the bottom is bad, so in this case, I can't see it affecting overall treatment time.

i wanted the ceramic on bottom, but they said my overbite was too bad and i'd risk biting into the bottom as they stand a bit higher from the tooth. and the small size of the metal turned out to be better for my tiny, crowded bottom teeth. so in my situation, i know this was the right choice. it's just based on your personal situation. regardless, whatever you decide you'll get used to quickly, i'm sure. good luck! :)

ucldbmine

#22 Post by ucldbmine »

my braces are strictly for my jaw although I do have some minor crowding on lowers.. my half time statment is based on the 2 consultations I got the first with traditional braces was told 2 years and the second consultation was for damons with seperate ortho and was told 10 - 13 months. I'm not saying that damons cut everyones time in half just that for my case that is what I was told and that's what I based my personal decision on and haven't had regrets that they are metal vs. the ceramics I originally wanted.

Paws917

#23 Post by Paws917 »

I have ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. I really like the look of the ceramics, but I have very full lips so they cover them easily. The metal ones actually feel bulkier to me and they seem rougher against the insides of my lips and cheeks when I talk or smile. My husband, who also had braces as an adult, said that's got nothing to do with them being metal -- it's only because your lower jaw moves more. He might be right ... I don't know. I wish I had gotten ceramics for the lower now, but it's too late so I'm just consoling myself with the knowledge that they will be speedier than the ceramics and my bottom teeth are the ones that need the most adjusting.

Erin