Complications after seven extractions in one go!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smiley77

Complications after seven extractions in one go!

#1 Post by Smiley77 »

I had 7 teeth removed on wednesday and I am still in quite a lot of pain.

How much pain is reasonable after this long?

The pain is like a throbbing in the sockets, all but one of them feel this way.

Is this the onset of the dreaded 'dry socket' or simply what I should be expecting after such a lot of work?

Please help me!

I also live over 3 hours away from a dentist :( So if I should go and get checked, I need to know now. I am also home alone with my 4yo DS and my 5 yo DD :(
Last edited by Smiley77 on Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 extractions 19 July 2006

8 spacers put in 7th August

I can't wait for that perfect smile

Smiley77

#2 Post by Smiley77 »

Thanks KK

Four days on, and I don't feel in any less pain than I did the next day. I thought it was due to me getting slack in taking my pain meds on time (just crappy panadol, as the forte made me sick) but there is definite throbbing that wasn't there before.

I will call him in the morning, but I have a feeling I will be making the 3½ hour journey back, even though I only came home this morning.

Dramagyrl

#3 Post by Dramagyrl »

I had four teeth extracted on July 4, one week before the braces.
I was still in a lot of pain and discomfort to get the braces, I wasn't sure if I was healed enough. But I've just found the extractions do take time to heal. I stuck with Advil Liquigels for pain and even with the braces, they hurt for about another full week. Even now, I have to be gentle with my waterpick or one of the sockets starts to bleed.
Make sure you are doing your salt water rinses to prevent infection and try the pain meds. If it sticks around too much longer, it could be a problem. Just for comparison, I would say if it took about two weeks for me to feel good from four extractions, it could take you a bit longer with seven...

LondonLingual

#4 Post by LondonLingual »

Hey Smiley, I had two teeth extracted 9 days agao and until two days ago was still in constant pain. Took a trip back to dentist 3 days in but the extraction sites were healing well. Apparently the pain can just be caused by the extraction and the fact the teeth around are braced and sustaining pressure.

Well it's 9 days now and its only 'really' painful after eating (really means it brings tears to my eyes lol) so it must be getting better. In fact was looking for advice when i found your post! Makes me feel less worried knowing other people find this really painful too.

As far as your advice goes I'd say speak to your dentist because apparently dry socket has some signs you can look out for, like bad taste/smell and visable puss. You may save yourself a long journey.

London lad... Linguals (http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf) on top and ceramics (http://www.gacmystique.com/) on bottom! UPDATE: now have ceramics on top too after gave up on linguals 18 months in!!!

Smiley77

#5 Post by Smiley77 »

Thank you so much for your replies!

I am feeling a lot more confident that this pain is to be expected and am ready to soldier on! I am waiting for a call back from the dentist surgery (one and a half hours after I called them) but I am hoping they will say that I am fine :)

I can't see in my mouth to see what the sockets look like. I just can't open my mouth wide enough! I might go and see if I can find a torch somewhere and take a peek. I hope that I don't see any jaw bone peering up at me, I fear my pain med weakened tummy just couldn't take it!

I do not yet have my braces on, but I am due to get spacers put in soon, and I am not looking forward to it any more! I just want a pain free mouth!!! I think I will just concentrate on getting over this first!

Thank you again :) Keep your fingers crossed for me that it's not the dreaded dry socket.

Smiley77

#6 Post by Smiley77 »

Dentist finally called back and just said that it seems like I do have an infection of some sort, and has faxed over a prescription for more antibiotics. SO it's official, I can feel extra sorry for myself. And on that note, I am going back to bed. It's a cold and rainy day here in Jurien Bay today, just the weather for staying in bed!

jamie26

#7 Post by jamie26 »

Sorry to hear you have an infection. Just thought i'd let you know though i had 6 teeth out at once and i know what you are going through, its sure not easy. I didnt feel normal again for about a month after! I think everyone is different. :)

johnnys_angel

#8 Post by johnnys_angel »

Sorry about the infection, Smiley :( Rest up and feel better soon!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Smiley77

#9 Post by Smiley77 »

Sure is a bummer, that's for sure!

BUT on the plus side, this should make spacers and bracers feel like a walk in the park!

I am so glad to have found someone who had almost as many teeth as me out, I was beginning to wonder if my dentist was crazy! (almost as crazy as me for going through with it!)

Hubby is home soon so I am taking to bed FT fora couple of days, and leaving him to deal with Miss 5 and Master 4.

Night all

LondonLingual

#10 Post by LondonLingual »

Hey Smiley,

Sorry to hear you got an infection, ouch! Its day 10 (since extractions) for me, just had my lunch and had to go and lie down for half an hour to let the pain subside, it was that intense. I imagine it must be hell to have had so many teeth out at once, really feel for you. Just remember that having it all done in one go means you won't have to go through all this again! Let us know how you get on as I am sure lots of people will be looking at this thread, now and in the future, to find out if they too are 'supposed' to be experiencing such high pain levels after an extraction.

London lad... Linguals (http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf) on top and ceramics (http://www.gacmystique.com/) on bottom! UPDATE: now have ceramics on top too after gave up on linguals 18 months in!!!

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

Smiley, I was just thinking it might be an infection. I had 6 teeth extracted in one day and I had stitches on each side of my mouth on the bottom so that made things more painful than usual. 5 of the extractions were NOT painful at all within 24 hrs. I had just one extraction hole that was very painful and I felt I was going crazy in pain. After 5 days of constant pain I called the oral surgeon. I got a good look in my mouth in that premolar extraction and noticed a tiny hole deep down by my bottom lip. When I opened and closed it I realized that a tiny bit of pus was oozing out! GROSS.It was then that he told me that he had to drill into my jaw to be able to push the root of that premolar out! I knew it was infected but the surgeon did not think so ,however he did an over the phone prescription to my pharmacy and I had my pills in less than 1 hr! I started taking the antibiotic and within 2 1/2 days I was feeling sooooooo much better! Sometimes the patient knows his own body better than a doctor!
Extractions are NOT suppose to hurt. The only part that hurts is the injection. I must say that my new dentist has " MAGIC HANDS" and I have NEVER felt any injection that she has injected in my gums. Not even a little prick. She is that amazing and I love her to death!

Gennel

LondonLingual

#12 Post by LondonLingual »

Hope you're feeling better Smiley. Guess what? I decided to go back to the dentist today and get her to have another look. It turns out I did have a 'dry-socket' after all despite the fact that the gum had healed over. It seems infection and puss was lurking beneath.

It wasn't fun she picked at it, then injected some water (i think) in the site, then cleaned (scraped) it out and injected loads of stuff to keep it healing which tastes grim. I also have been prescribed some pretty hefty antibiotics called 'Metronidazole'.

I'm really depressed about the whole thing because I am off on holiday on Monday and these antibiotics don't mix with alcahol and also make you extra-sensitive to the sun :-( It didn't help that my dentist said her boyfriend had a dry socket and it took six weeks to heal. I hope this isn't the case for me or you!

Gennel

#13 Post by Gennel »

I havent gotten spacers yet and I will be getting them in about 2 weeks! I can tell you that the infection of the extraction was 100 times more painful than braces for me! They put on braces and powerchains on the firs day and was warned that I might be in pain for more than a week because the powerchains were put on that day also. Guess what? I waited for several days for this "pain" and it never came! Yes I did feel tightness but it was like wearing jeans that are a bit too tight... not pain for me

I am glad that your dentist put meds in the socket. You might feel better sooner than you think!

Gennel

LondonLingual

#14 Post by LondonLingual »

Thanks Gennel I was hoping it would start to go better now too but... uh oh! :roll: A load of the medicated fibrous gunk she put in the hole yesterday just came out, yuk!! I wonder if this happened to anyone else? Looks like theres still some in there though... This whole thing is just grossing me out now. Going to call the dentist...