Gap from expander..question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShinySmile

Gap from expander..question

#1 Post by ShinySmile »

Hi!

My ortho's assistant told me to stop turning the expander key a week early, due to pain on the right side...I have an appointment to get it checked on Tuesday, and she seems to think there is more than enough expansion.

So, question...I had a huge gap from expansion, and now it's closing on it's own since I stopped expanding...is this normal? :?

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

I wouldnt think so but I am not sure. I think you should call the ortho and ask.

My son still has a gap and he stopped turning it a while ago and has his braces on. ( only the top 4 are braced) but he doesnt have any crowding issues either so maybe that affects it.

Sorry I cant be more of a help. I think your best bet is to call the ortho Monday morning and let them know whats going on and see what they think.
Good luck! :)
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

ShinySmile

#3 Post by ShinySmile »

Hmm, he's out of his office until my appointment on Tuesday, so I guess i'll figure it out then. 8) It's just really weird, I stopped turning the key and the gap is closing a little bit every day on its own...I can't fit my tongue through the space anymore :lol: The arch still looks the same as it did after I was done turning though...

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

mgigi

#4 Post by mgigi »

I do think it's normal for the gap to close once you stop turning the key. I too have a palate expander, but I'm not done turning the key yet. You'll know for sure tomorrow when you ask your orthodontist, so try not to worry about it. Good luck.

ShinySmile

#5 Post by ShinySmile »

For future reference, apparenty it's totally normal for the gap to start closing...it didn't affect the shape of my palate, and my ortho said the gap should be almost closed by the time I get my braces next Thursday!

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented