Day 5, Still No Solids...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katiari

Day 5, Still No Solids...

#1 Post by Katiari »

I'm on Day 5 now and I still can't eat solid food, is this normal? The pain level when I try to bite into anything is just extreme and my teeth are still incredibly sensitive. When I talk and I accidentally close my mouth too far and the teeth chatter against each other it shoots pain through my face.

This can't be normal, can it?

Luna

#2 Post by Luna »

Hi Katiari

This is normal. I was like that for 2 weeks, some people have it for longer, some for less. It slowly gets better though so hold in there. During my first week I sometimes woke myself up in my sleep with the pain when my teeth hit together. Are you taking the painkillers, as that does ease things a bit.

Katiari

#3 Post by Katiari »

painkillers? If you mean ibuprofen, yes. If you mean something more powerful... I want...

katmc_tx

#4 Post by katmc_tx »

Hi Katiari, I'm six months in and I still sometimes I still hit my teeth together when I'm talking, not so much anymore at night and its like :shock: . I don’t know why or how it happens but it does and now the pain is less but still kinda weird. As for the pain it took me about three weeks to be able to eat any kinda solid food. I was eating a lot of soup, pasta, baked potatoes, steamed veggies and pb&j sandwiches. Before you know it, you'll be eating solid food in no time. Good luck and thanks for helping me with my pics. I read the post where you fixed rebecca pics and that helped me fix mine too. :D
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Katiari

#5 Post by Katiari »

Lol, glad to help. And happy 6 month anniversary! :)

jetxness

#6 Post by jetxness »

i got my braces on on july 12th. i'm still not eating that many solids yet due to pain but have finally progressed to overcooked pasta :D

Katiari

#7 Post by Katiari »

Well, that's rather depressing, jetxness! I feel like an infant learning to teeth, lol!

jessikah

#8 Post by jessikah »

your not the only one!

i'm on my 8th day... and my teeth still hurt! and i've got my first ulcer! lol. :P

sjsarre

#9 Post by sjsarre »

Hi Katiari

If your teeth have alot to move, then you will no doubt be in pain for a while.. Maybe i'm wrong but I believe the more pain you have, then the healthier your roots and surrounding tissue are.. Of course can have alot to do with pain threshold and whether you have tender nerves (I get alot of trapped nerves in my neck and hips)..

I took a couple of months to get over that pain where if you accidentally touched your teeth together it would send shooting pains around your face.. Now that pain has gone and the adjustments are painful but only for a few days.. I can touch my teeth together easily now and tap them together without pain..

Hold on in there.. Take some painkillers if it gets too bad, but don't eat solids to try and break the pain barrier.. You are better to wait until you feel ready!

:D