Good news!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

simshell

Good news!

#1 Post by simshell »

I'm getting my braces off in 3 weeks--August 15th! I'm also pregnant and due the 26th, so hopefully I don't go early (never thought I'd say that!). Anyway, I was reading some of the stories about getting the braces off. I do have one question regarding removal. Are the impressions done after your braces are off similar to when you had them done before the braces were put on? I just remember gagging on that crap. I think the pain doesn't worry me (I have had 2 kids--I can endure pain!) but the possibility of gagging or throwing up seems almost worse. I guess I can get through it. Just wondering if it is any different.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm so happy I get these suckers off after 22 months!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

They will take impressions again to make your retainers.

I hate that part also. My dentist even told me that impressions was the worst thing he'd ever had done in his mouth; so we're not alone!!

You'll do fine...

Also CONGRATS on your upcoming birth. :dance:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Just be sure you are in an upright position when they do the impressions, it really helps.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

simshell

#4 Post by simshell »

I know last time I was sitting up and taking deep breaths. This is the only thing that got me through it. I did gag a few times and thought I was going to hurl, but after I got over the initial gag feeling, I was able to breath through it. I guess those breathing exercises were worth something after all!

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

I was at the ortho yesterday and they were doing impressions. She told the girl to relax and breath through her nose.

Congrats on getting your braces off and congrats on the newest addition!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

newsysuzy

#6 Post by newsysuzy »

I feel your pain, as I, too, gag at these things...but I recall a trick the tech suggested that seemed to help: lift one of your feet up. Just a few inches, as you're sort of lying in the chair. I remember thinking it was a goofy idea, but I was game...and it helped. No idea why. Maybe it's just tricking your brain into thinking about something else for a moment (like how stupid this is)...and it's enough to get you through it. It might be worth a try.

A big CONGRATULATIONS on being de-braced. Good luck with your delivery too. So much good news!!!! :D And a beautiful smile too! You're a lucky girl!

simshell

#7 Post by simshell »

Hey Thanks everyone for the advice. Atleast it only takes a few minutes...and then I'm done. I can't wait to get these suckers off. I look forward to eating a big fat cheeseburger and not getting stuff stuck in my braces...LOL. And for a brief moment, I'll not look like a pregnant teenager..LOL. Thanks again.

Here is my blog if you want to see my progress: www.bracetobrace.blogspot.com.

Good luck everyone!