Salads Are My New Best Friend

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Salads Are My New Best Friend

#1 Post by Paws917 »

I was never a big salad eater before, but while dining out yesterday, I realized that salads had to have been invented by someone with braces! I mean the food is already cut up into bite sized pieces and you can get everything in one bowl -- chicken, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit. The salad I had today even had black beans in it! Now that I see salads in a whole new light, I don't have to dread dining out anymore! I am so excited!

Erin

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

That's funny because I actually find salads hard to eat...I wish I found is as easy as you though!!! I like salads

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

What do you find difficult about salads now that you have braces? Just curious ...

Erin

Paws917

#4 Post by Paws917 »

After I finish eating my salads, I also give my mouth a good swish or two with water and that dislodges A LOT! After that, I run my toothbrush over my braces and everything is good.

My daughter also checks my braces after I eat!

Erin

KriegeR

#5 Post by KriegeR »

I love salads too, but I have to concede on two points. Shredded iceberg lettuce is an absolute pain for wrapping around wires, and tomato pips are nothing but a pain in the ... we'll not go into that!

katmc_tx

#6 Post by katmc_tx »

I love salads and never would have thought they would be hard to eat after getting braces. But alassss they were hard to eat because my teeth didn't close all the way to chew the leaves and spinach. It was about a month and a half before I was able to start enjoying them again. But you are right Paws there are so many things you can add in to salads which makes them a well balanced meal. :wink:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Bridget

#7 Post by Bridget »

Thanks to Karen's great tip of chewing at the back of the mouth, I am back at the Salad Bar (I avoided it for the first couple of days). I tried salad at home and found that it was quite alright. However, today I had some seeds and sprouts inbetween - they were really giving me a tough time!
:wink:

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

payoki

#8 Post by payoki »

really? whenever I have a salad, leafy vegetables wraps around my brackets and it's so hard to remove it. I used to be a salad eater but I try to avoid it if I'm dining out. I once went through the entire meal not knowing a piece of spinach was plastered across my front teeth. what a humiliation. :oops:
mother of one.

CLAmom

#9 Post by CLAmom »

I miss salads and steak more than anything since being braced. For me, my bite is so messed up that my molars are not touching right now. Makes it impossible to grind up these types of food. Can't wait to dive into a big pile of spinach, grape tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots--my favorite salad combo!!!!

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Paws917

#10 Post by Paws917 »

When I am eating salad, I will periodically take a sip of whatever beverage I'm drinking with it and swish it around my mouth quickly before swallowing it. I think that helps dislodge anything that might be stuck up in front. Once I'm finished eating, I'll head to the bathroom to swish and brush more thoroughly.

Erin

mindwaves

#11 Post by mindwaves »

I have never been a big salad fan and I am still not today. Salads hurt my teeth. It is mainly the lettuce I believe since it is a bit too crunchy for me at times. I stick to cooked soft vegetables only nowadays.

ingyandbert

#12 Post by ingyandbert »

I eat big salads at home all the time -- probably 3-4 times a week. But I skip the lettuce entirely and just throw all the other ingredients into a bowl with salad dressing (actually, I use a mixture of olive oil and fresh squeezed lime juice). It's tasty and no lettuce to get stuck in my braces.