Eating with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jessikah

Eating with braces

#1 Post by jessikah »

hey all, i got braces put on last tuesday so its been 8 days now since i got them put on. i'm still eating soft foods due to the pain i've suffered when i've tried to bite into something.

eating has been such a pain for me, and i'm sure for all of you as well.

so i'm just wondering what all of you girls & guys have been eating now that you have braces?

what do you all recommended for those who have braces or are about to get them?

any feedback would be appreciated

:D thanks!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Here are some soft food suggestions.

http://www.archwired.com/soft_foods.htm

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

If your teeth are really sore, try baked beans. You can smoosh them up if you still can't chew, but they are usually so soft you can get through it. I've learned to love beans!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

discharge

#4 Post by discharge »

__
Last edited by discharge on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaglesoaring

#5 Post by eaglesoaring »

I really found that Life Cereal, soaked in milk for while, was delicious! I don't even think I chewed it in those early days, post braces. In fact, I still eat it...and I NEVER ate it before braces. Plus, Cup O' Soup, Ramen noodles, and definitely burritos!

eagle :D

jessikah

#6 Post by jessikah »

thanks everyone for your replies!

sorry i'm new to this! :oops:

bajanrose

#7 Post by bajanrose »

I'll take some of these suggestions too, since I feel like I'm starving lol
Thanks
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

BreeZyCheeZy

another question bout eating

#8 Post by BreeZyCheeZy »

I just got braces on 5 days ago..and upper and lower appliances today..i noticed that i've lost my natural bite if you know what i mean.
so when i try to eat i either bite my cheek or dont even chew the food at all. has anyone else had this?

i am very not happy that i can't eat harder food..i see my boyfriend eating burgers and fries and cookies...i just almost cry.
im sure it will get better...but this bite this has got me so frustrated

Dramagyrl

#9 Post by Dramagyrl »

I've had the same problem with the bite. A lot of it has to do with the single-tooth plates put on the top and right top back corners, but the rest is just dealing with the braces.
I think it's a problem that sticks around for a while, until you adjust to it. It's been two and a half weeks, and I still haven't myself.
As you get used to eating and talking, etc. you'll become more used to how your mouth now moves and hopefully your poor cheeks will be out of the biting equation.

jessikah

#10 Post by jessikah »

i ate mcdonalds last night, i ate my McChicken burger with a knife and fork... it took me 30 minutes to eat it. i chewed my burger and a few fries on my back teeth. this is probably something i don't recommend doing! i promised myself i'd never eat mcdonalds again.......but i can't help myself, all my friends eat it and i feel left out lol.

juf_84

#11 Post by juf_84 »

Hi guys,

It does get better. I'm just over a month in and am currently working my way through a sub (slowly of course, but still getting there!).
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

bajanrose

#12 Post by bajanrose »

I had to chew food with my back teeth too, rice at that lol. But you guys say it'll get better, which you know from experience.
TPA (July 27th 05 - Feb 28th 06)7 months 1 day!
Nance (March 1st - Jan 31st 07)

After a total of 22 months and 12 days, I am braces free!

BreeZyCheeZy

#13 Post by BreeZyCheeZy »

I tried eating pizza pizza last night...knife and fork...but i ended up just scraping everything off the crust. i think it took an hour to eat 2 slices...by the end of it my mouth was so sore i had to go home...and the pizza was cold. :(

eoberhauser

#14 Post by eoberhauser »

My only "I can't eat pain" was in the first few days. (it takes more than just braces for me to not eat!) My favorite thing to eat was Mac n Cheese spirals. They are so small you can almost just swallow them whole. (BE CAREFUL!) It also feels substantial - not like you're resorting to eating smoothies or somthing that would make me panic like I was starving myself!

tin_grin

#15 Post by tin_grin »

BreeZyCheeZy, it sounds like you and I have the same problem. :( I have an overbite so when my braces were put on, my upper teeth hit the lower brackets and my teeth don't touch. The braces were put on 11 days ago and I still can't chew. I've been having yogurt shakes, ramen noodles, pastina and cream of wheat. Argh! Sometimes I think I'll never chew again!