Expander Pic - Anyone else have one like this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jillianleab

Expander Pic - Anyone else have one like this?

#1 Post by Jillianleab »

Here's a pic of my new expander. The ortho calls it an "ortho organizer". Anyone else have one of these?

~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

ladygal

#2 Post by ladygal »

nope...looks painful though :(

Indy

#3 Post by Indy »

I've never seen that one on the boards. Be careful eating pasta or spinach! That stuff can get wrapped around the wire and sometimes it will hang in your throat!! :shock: I know from some experience. :roll:
My pendex looks like a regular expander.

Bridget

#4 Post by Bridget »

Is this a "Palatal Bar" or how they call it? An appliance meant to keep the molars from moving forward??? If so I'll get the same some time during my treatment.

Does not look too bad I must say...Is it difficult to speak with that thing??? How about eating?????

Looking forward to your comments!

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

2oldtocare

Expander

#5 Post by 2oldtocare »

I had one similar called a W-arch expander. It didn't have the added metal at the curves you have though. The metal went along the inside of my teeth like yours, and pushed the teeth out to align with the bottom teeth. I had it on for 15 months, took a while to not lisp with it. But I got used to it. It worked. But since it's come out my teeth are already tilting slightly back again. It's hard to keep adult teeth in position.

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

Well I hate to say it, but the thing has defeated me! My ortho told me when I got it put in if it was driving me nuts after a few days to come in and have it taken out. I wanted to stick it out - I really did! But alas, I'm going in at 3pm today to have it removed. I'm going out of town tomorrow for a week, and I don't want to wait until I get back. I haven't gotten used to talking with it AT ALL, not to mention if I cough of hiccup it makes me gag. The final straw was last night; the damn thing pinced my tongue! I feel so ridiculous for not being able to tough it out, but I'm really pretty miserable with it in! Maybe later in my treatment it can go back in and not be as scrunched up - that might help.
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

Indy

#7 Post by Indy »

Jillian,
Don't worry. I'm surprised your ortho said he/she would be willing to remove it if it was uncomfortable!! Give any one of us that option and we (I) will go in to get our appliance removed in a few days :lol: Do you know what it was supposed to do?

Any appliance in the roof of your mouth takes time for you to feel normal again. It took 2 weeks for me to talk normal and 1 month to be "comfortable" with it. And like many will tell you, you'll forget it's there after a little while!

Good luck as you continue your journey :thumbsup:

Jillianleab

#8 Post by Jillianleab »

I'm surprised your ortho said he/she would be willing to remove it if it was uncomfortable!! Give any one of us that option and we (I) will go in to get our appliance removed in a few days
Funny you should say that... when I went in and he saw me, he smiled and grumbled "I never should have told you it could come out!" I said, "Too late! You already did!" It was supposed to assist in expansion with the archwires, but he's thinking I might not need it at all. I hope so! Timing was so bad with my trip out of town and everything - otherwise I probably would have stuck it out. If he wants to try it again I probably will... maybe :oops:
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

jmpmntwnty3

#9 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Haha, lucky you! I HAVE to have mine in, or else I'll be in braces for much longer than 2 years .. heck, my teeth probably won't even come out right in the end. And to me, what's the point? No pain, no gain right? :P But I know you're excited because you might not even need the thing at all!!
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!