Need elastics help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Need elastics help!

#1 Post by genxsis »

Yesterday was the day of my 3rd adjustment. I've been braced 6 months now. They've given me elastics to use 16 hours per day. They gave me 2 sizes of bands: a medium sized kind to use for the first 3 weeks, and then smaller ones to use til my next adjustment. The assistant showed me how to put them on and I succeeded in doing it myself the first time, but then I had major problems when I got home. I'm supposed to connect one end to the upper eye tooth, and the other end to the hook on the lower first molar. This is on both left and right. The problem comes when I try connecting the band to the lower first molar on my left side. I can't get it to attach to the hook. Instead, the band wants to wrap around the molar band bracket, which spreads out the band and tightens it too much. Does anyone have any special tools or techniques you use to put these things on?

Also, I was told that these things were supposed to correct my overbite. But how? How does connecting a band from one upper eye tooth to a lower first molar bring the upper teeth inward? I can see how it might bring one tooth in, but not all of them. My 2 front teeth don't have hooks, so I don't think they'll have me put bands on those (or so I hope!)
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Xero

#2 Post by Xero »

I had this problem as well.

My ortho gave me a small hook used to do it easier. You can search on the internet for an orthodontic hook. It's a small plastic hook.
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

A hook! That sounds like a great idea! I have to go back to the ortho's office in about a week anyway to get my wire clipped because the assistant forgot to clip it after installing a new one during my adjustment. I'll ask if they have those there.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

Dentek makes a dental pic that I think might help you, and can be found at many stores that sell dental supplies (like Target).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Xero

#5 Post by Xero »

Here are some pics I snapped of the hooks my ortho gave me. The right side is the actual hook to snap onto the elastics and the left side is for removing...I think.

About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Those hooks work great for powerchains as well. My powerchain on one of my lower molars slips off all the time! My hook came in the bag with my elastics.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Chris

Re: Need elastics help!

#7 Post by Chris »

My 2 front teeth don't have hooks, so I don't think they'll have me put bands on those (or so I hope!)
Don't let hookless brackets deceive you...they can bend little wires into loops around ANY bracket to hold elastics. I got em. :roll:

Its so funny when they attach them...its just a long wire they twist around the bracket...there you are with these "whiskers" sticking out of your mouth until they clip them. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Xero

#8 Post by Xero »

I know! One time, an assistant put those on for me and left me for a couple of minutes. It was so embarrassed with all those kids walking around pointing at the funny person with metallic whiskers.

Attagirl2

#9 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. The elastics configuration that you are describing,I believe is called a Class 2. I had it for my first time in elastics. It will pull the whole front back, not just the two teeth. If you put elastics on each individual tooth, you would actually pull them inward too much, IMHO. As for hooking it over the brackets instead of the hook, I understand. You might try hooking it on the first molar first (so you can get it just on the hook) and then put it over the eye tooth hook - so that you can see and control the location better.

Good luck with your time in elastics....
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

eoberhauser

#10 Post by eoberhauser »

I agree with Atta, I have a sililar config and I always hook the molar first. I actually can't imaging doing it the other way around. Try that first and see how that works.

Erin

fins

#11 Post by fins »

I think your config is one I had. If so, it WILL pull your whole jaw back a bit. At least it feels like that eventually. Now I have a new configuration and the pull is in the opposite direction, feeling much more balanced.

Try the little tool and also try the bottom hook first then to to the top.

It's true, they can add loops to hold elastics to bands or brackets (I have them) and they really can make your cheeks sore. If one gets pushed in you can easily bend it back gently so it can still function as a hook for your elastics. I bent one of mine somehow but I just pulled it back carefully and it's good as new.

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone. That's all really helpful advice!

Xero: Thanks for the pic of the hooks. I've never seen those before.

Attagirl2: I tried your advice about hooking the molar side of the band first. It wasn't all that easy, but then I realized why. An assistant had bent the hook on the molar band inward when they were first put on. That made access to the hook harder. I used a screwdriver to "carefully" bend it back out a little. No problem now!

jcdamon3

#13 Post by jcdamon3 »

My hook is on my archwire right near my canine. It is called a preposted archwire and I just got it. It looks like I have horns growing out of my teeth now. I assume very soon - maybe my next appointment- I will be getting elastics.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Xero

#14 Post by Xero »

I found a place to buy hooks from!

https://jawproducts.authsecure.com/elas ... 34_40.html

I didn't direct link to the item, because the page I posted has a better picture of the hooks.