Timeline for Rubber Bands??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mm92280

Timeline for Rubber Bands??

#1 Post by mm92280 »

I went for my 2nd adjustment today and my ortho told me that he thought I would be ready for rubber bands to be added soon, possibly at my next visit. I'm currently at the 5 month mark in my treatment and am wearing Damon 2's. My next visit will be at the 7 1/2 month mark. I was just wondering if there was a standard time that orthos add the rubber bands on as part of the treatment?

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

Good question! I just had my 3rd adjustment yesterday at the 6 month period, and they put my on elastics for the first time. I thought elastics were only used to put on the "finishing touches" at the end of treatment. Apparently not. I have to wear them 16 hours a day for at least the next 2 months when I have another adjustment.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

JaneBy

#3 Post by JaneBy »

I got elastics in August '05 which was one year into treatment. Since then, I've had some configuration in my mouth so they're not always for finishing. Most of the time, I've been in elastics 24/7 except when eating or brushing and flossing.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

There is no standard time for starting elastics. Some people get them right at the beginning, others not until the end of treatment, and others yet again at various points along the way.

I'll be getting them next week, at the 6 month mark. I was due to start at the end of June, but my ortho decided a wisdom tooth had to go first.

jmpmntwnty3

#5 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I'm not sure when I'm getting mine, but I do remember my ortho telling me at my initial consultation that I will definitely need them. I had my first adjustment today, and he didn't mention anything about them yet, so it's probably not anytime soon for me :P

alexa

#6 Post by alexa »

Elastics are used for many things, so as you would expect, there is no specific timeframe for their usage.

Some people wear them for a couple of months at the beginning of their treament, others three months at the end. Then there are folks like me who have been wearing them in one configuration or another for most of their treatment. I've had mine for nearly 16 months and got them during my first adjustment.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Henna_the_braceface

#7 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I've got my elastics at the 6 month mark to fix my midline as its a little off.