Ortho keeping wisdom teeth? Extraction after being braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracketed

Ortho keeping wisdom teeth? Extraction after being braced?

#1 Post by bracketed »

Hello.

My ortho extracted 4 teeth - mostly the bicuspids. However, he didn't touch my wisdom teeth. Is it normal to not extract them? Also, he added my first filling on my one of my back wisdom teeth, also proving he isn't planning to extract it.

Doesn't most people who get braces have their wisdom teeth removed? Also, if I extract them after I am done being braced, won't that shift my teeth?

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

My ortho wants to keep my wisdom teeth. And having them removed shouldn't effect your other teeth, they are in the far far back after all. Maybe if you have them yanked after ortho is completely done you'd need new retainers.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Bracketed, my lowers were braced in early April. My ortho had been adopting a "wait and see" apprpoach in relation to two of my wisdom teeth and at my last adjustment said that the lower one had to go. I had it pulled 10 days ago. It was no big deal.

bracketed

#4 Post by bracketed »

No stitches? Did you have to be gassed? o__o

jessikah

#5 Post by jessikah »

i had my 4 wisdom teeth and 2 pre molars removed at the end of june under a general anaesthetic at hospital. i did not want to be awake for the extration of the two pre molars, so my orthodontist said that i'm going to have to get my wisdom teeth out later on in my life so i might as well get the wisdom teeth taken out at the same time as the pre molars.

so that is exactly what i did :wink:

Luna

#6 Post by Luna »

It doesn't seem to be standard practice to take them out for ortho treatment. In cases where you are having premolars out to create some space I don't think they're that botherd unless they are causing other problems like infection due to being hard to clean.

I've just started orthodontic treatment and I was surprised as he didn't seem to think my wisdom teeth were a big deal and removing them was not going to be necessary to get the required result. I plan on having mine out next year anyway due to them being a bit impacted and hard to clean, so I made a point of asking the ortho if this would effect treatment outcome in any way and he said no.

I had treatment in my teens as well and my teeth moved forward again over 10 years or so, and I personally think it was due to the wisdom coming through and taking up space, so I suppose if I'd had a choice back then I would have had them out years ago.

Stich

#7 Post by Stich »

Bracketed,

I have all four of my wisdom teeth and there are no plans to extract them because they came in well. I had four teeth extracted before being braced, also bicuspids. Since I am trying to correct an overbite my ortho was glad to have the top wisdom teeth to bracket because he says it will create a strong anchor. Those are my least favorite bracketed teeth, though, because when the wire pokes out even a little it causes a lot of irritation. It is also very hard to clean back there. And since not alot of people do have their wisdom teeth, whenever I need a wire change the techs always have a hard time getting the wire way back there, I guess from lack of practice. But luckily, he has not seen the need to bracket my lower wisdoms. Those are my two naked teeth!

Becky

hippyhippo

Re: Ortho keeping wisdom teeth? Extraction after being brace

#8 Post by hippyhippo »

Hello.

My ortho extracted 4 teeth - mostly the bicuspids. However, he didn't touch my wisdom teeth. Is it normal to not extract them? Also, he added my first filling on my one of my back wisdom teeth, also proving he isn't planning to extract it.

Doesn't most people who get braces have their wisdom teeth removed? Also, if I extract them after I am done being braced, won't that shift my teeth?
If your wisdom teeth came in okay, I don't see why you'd need them removed. Most people have them removed (THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR.) b/c there isn't enough room in their mouth for them.

All four of mine were impacted, so I had them removed when I was 19.

Evelyn

#9 Post by Evelyn »

I still have my wisdom teeth and I'm done with my braces. It really varies from person to person with their age, the position their wisdom teeth are in, and many other factors. That's also part of the reason why they use bonded retainers on the bottom often to keep the front teeth from shifting if the wisdom teeth do try to cause some movement.

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

My ortho did not mention anything about my wisdom teeth. He is banding the second molars and not touching the wisdom teeth. My dentist did a filling on one of my wisdom bottom and is doing a tiny filling on the side of the other wisdom tooth. So I am totally assuming that she is not planning on having me extract my wisdom teeth.
I went to another dentist a few months ago and she just bluntly told me " All your wisdom teeth should be extracted" she did not explain why. I asked her and her response did NOT convince me. She told me " Because it's better if people have all their wisdom teeth extracted" and her other response " You dont need them"

My wisdom teeth are all out and not impacted,not slanted . They actually grew in straight! lol As far as my wisdom teeth are concerned ,they are not going to cause crowding because I have already had 4 extractions on my bottom teeth! Also two extractions on top.

I can understand if you had braces as a child and have the wisdom teeth grow and cause crowding...

Gennel

Idislikebraces

#11 Post by Idislikebraces »

bracketed wrote:Hello.

My ortho is keeping my wisdom teeth..but thats bc I had my second to last molars removed..so its like replacing them...

Oh nd I LOVE UR AVI!!! Loco Roco!! 8)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

bracketed wrote:No stitches? Did you have to be gassed? o__o
No stitches, no gas. I had a couple of needles, my dentist asked "can you feel anything?" and when I said "no", he stuck the instrument in, gave a couple of tugs and out she came. It was all over in a matter of seconds.

ghotieyes

#13 Post by ghotieyes »

My ortho is keeping 3/4 of my wisdom teeth. One is currently impacted, but he wants to keep it anyway because it will be the opposing tooth to the wisdom tooth that has already erupted. Although now that I think about it, I'm gonna end up with an odd number of teeth!

Joual

#14 Post by Joual »

I'm having 4 bicuspids removed. My ortho said I can keep all of my wisdom teeth.

The first ortho I had a consult with wanted to remove 4 bicuspids and all 4 wisdoms.

The ortho I chose said that I can keep my wisdoms because I can keep them clean.

bracketed

#15 Post by bracketed »

My ortho is keeping my wisdom teeth..but thats bc I had my second to last molars removed..so its like replacing them...

Oh nd I LOVE UR AVI!!! Loco Roco!! 8)
Thanks! LocoRoco rules! n__n
Hmmm, yeah all of my wisdom teeth came in fine, and appear healthy. The only issue I have is having to reach that far to brush. But I assume they will be brought forward to fill in the gap caused by the bicuspids. But don't most orthodontists not add brackets to the third molars?