Soda

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PnkPrincess024

Soda

#1 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

why do they say no soda???

bracketed

#2 Post by bracketed »

Well considering you can clean out your car engine with a can of Coke - it just shows the acidity and corrosive nature of the liquid in metals.

But I think the main reason is because of the overal hygiene of your teeth. Sugar trapped inside of braces can grow and cause cavities, especially if not looked after.

After talking to my ortho, he said having a soda once a month is a good treat - use it in moderation. I've heard of people in braces drinking soda once a week.

missing_tooth

#3 Post by missing_tooth »

Well I'm in trouble then, cause I drink it all the time.

I suspect it's ok, they just want cavities, and as long as you brush, rinse, and floss really well, it should all be good. Reminds me I need to pick up a water pic.

As far as the acidity of pop, that car engine stuff is crap. Things like orange juice and lemon juice are much more acidic than pop.

- Missing Tooth -

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

well my ortho said not to drink acidic juices like OJ too often either! Even diet fizz is on the "bad" list because although it contains no sugar it is still very acidic.

Having said that, I still can't see that drinking it now and again is going to hurt, as long as you are good with your brushing routine.

dimeech

#5 Post by dimeech »

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

We all know we really shouldn't drink soda, anyways, but most of us do!
If you drink it, just brush up when you're done & I'm guessing you'll be OK... not to mention kids drink sugary stuff all the time with braces and most of them seem to fare well when they come off!?

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

i haven't touched soda since i got my braces on :shock: big achievement lol

Way Too Old For This

#7 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I drink Diet Coke all day long. Its my one big vice. Don't smoke, don't drink alcohol...but I just cannot seem to give up soda. The orthodontist assistant told me in the beginning the reason they don't want you to drink soda besides the sugar is "the fizz in coke is actually what they use to take the brackets off". Well I've had several brackets taken off and he used a pair of pliers not any kind of fizz. I've only had one bracket come off in almost a year.

I think we must just be sensible and know that if we eat or drink anything that might cause cavities whether wearing braces or not, to clean our teeth after.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Check this out...
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/ ... m=storyrhs

Ok, pass the cheese everyone.

Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Yeah, good idea, pass the cheese!

I think as long as you observe a good oral hygiene routine, you'll be OK. I enjoy gin and tonic (I use the diet tonic because the regular one is too sweet) and have not stopped since having braces.

jaswi

#10 Post by jaswi »

I drink about 2 bottles of pop a day, I won't stop. I have great oral hygiene, and if by some chance it causes a bracket or something to pop off, who cares. I pay $5000 for this treatment, if they have to see me now and then to glue something back on then so be it.

PnkPrincess024

#11 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

i was wondering if itll do anything to the archwire...like will the soda ingrediants make themstiffer or somthing so they wont be able to move...i dont no LOl

Idislikebraces

#12 Post by Idislikebraces »

Well...for my bro he is like a caffeine ADDICT!!
nd yea..he would brush his teeth and everything!
Now he has had a root canal nd fillings nd he needs ANOTHER root canal...
yea..I drink alot to but for me..im a girl so like I brush ALOT ALOT ALOT! So i havent had ne probs bc of that...but if u have ceramics the ligs turn ugly..nd then ur teeth will look yellow.. :( :shock:
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

bracketed

#13 Post by bracketed »

I drink about 2 bottles of pop a day, I won't stop. I have great oral hygiene, and if by some chance it causes a bracket or something to pop off, who cares. I pay $5000 for this treatment, if they have to see me now and then to glue something back on then so be it.
That's the spirit! :biglaf:

jennandtonic

#14 Post by jennandtonic »

I don't drink soda and haven't since long before I got my braces, but my ortho said the sugar in it is what's bad for the braces.

She warned me that if I do drink it I need to make sure and brush soon afterward.

But you know, any time I drink anything sugary my teeth feel really grainy and not good, so I end up brushing or rinsing with water thoroughly anyway.

fantasia

#15 Post by fantasia »

Technically soda is bad for your teeth whether you have braces or not. I personally don't drink tons of soda but every few days I'll have one. Candy is my thing though, I eat a lot of candy and sweets, every day. It's my one addiction!
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years