Retainer question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Echo

Retainer question

#1 Post by Echo »

I don't have my retainers yet (September), but my son recently got his braces off and has Hawley retainers. He was instructed to only wear them at night. By the end of the day of not wearing them, one of his front bottom teeth is crooked. After wearing the retainers all night, in the morning all the bottom teeth are straight. Anyone else experience this?
[/url]

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

Hi Echo!

I'm nowhere near the retainer stage yet, so congrats to your son and to you, not long to go now!

My 15 year old cousin is wearing an essex retainer on her bottom teeth, only at nights and she has noticed that her bottom teeth have moved. I'm not sure how much movement there has been- I can't tell!

I was really suprised when she told me she was already just on night wear of both retainers (hawley upper) as she only got de-banded in February and March.

Maybe you should mention your concerns to the ortho and the next visit, and until then, hopefully someone with more of an idea than me will come along!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Jetgirl

#3 Post by Jetgirl »

I would bring this up with his ortho. I have hawley retainers, with a spring to keep one of my back molars in place. I was instructed to wear them 24/7 for the first six months, and then as often as I could after that. Nine months after debanding, I got the ok to wear them only at night.

Even now though, I can tell when my teeth are starting to shift a bit more so I will wear my retainer all day for a few days. I think eventually I want to look into getting a fixed retainer.
Braces on: June 2003
Braces off: June 2005

Pictures of my braces journey

garrettnb

#4 Post by garrettnb »

if i don't wear my retainer for only a few hours i can feel my teeth moving back to there original place. So i don't think its anything to be alarmed about
Quiero Pasta?