Cracking Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Paws917

Cracking Teeth

#1 Post by Paws917 »

Quick question ...

Does cracking your teeth help or hinder them in moving?

Erin

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I don't understand what you mean when you say 'cracking your teeth'. I hope you don't mean that your teeth literally crack. I have had a couple of teeth do that. (cracked clear in two down to the nerve)...and there would be no point in getting braces if all of them did what mine did!
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Paws917

#3 Post by Paws917 »

By cracking, I mean that when I bite, I can hear one or several teeth pop or crack. I don't know how else to describe it. It's not a loud noise. Certainly people around me can't hear it. One tooth in particular is beginning to crack softer and I just wondered what that meant.

Erin

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I think it means ure teeth are moving. Some of my teeth are like that too and are a bit sore. So I think its a good sign :)

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Oh yeah, mine pop or click a lot when they are moving. I kind of like it when they do that, I can't stop making them click. They haven't done it in a long time, but they did a lot in the beginning.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Teeth cracking would not be good and would indicate an underlying problem. What you are most likely hearing is the wire slipping on the bracket. The ligature engages the wire into the bracket in order to create a force to move your teeth. Depending on how the wire is flexed and what type of wire you have, different forces are put on the bracket. The engagement may not be able to handle all of the force at the moment causing it to slip and create a sound as the wire slips. This is perfectly normal and expected in many cases. As your teeth and brackets shift the sound should go away.

Hope that helps,
Rory

36nBraced

#7 Post by 36nBraced »

i wouldn't call it cracking but more of a popping sound. i think that indicates that your teeth are moving. no worries. you're making progress.

Pirate Wench

#8 Post by Pirate Wench »

I know what sound you are talking about......Your teeth feel kind of squishy when you bite together and it makes a popping/cracking sound. It isn't something that most other people can hear, but you can definately hear it yourself.

Most people have posted that this means your teeth are moving....they are being loosened from the socket.

Sounds really cool.....kind of scary too. :?