baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Septimus

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

#1 Post by Septimus »

Getting braces put on TODAY!

very excited/scared.

any tips on what to expect and how to make it less painful ?

jmpmntwnty3

#2 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Depending on what timezone you're on .. I'd say eat a really big STEAK meal (if you're not vegetarian hehe). The reason is because you won't be able to chew anything for the next week. So stock up on some taters, ramen noodles, etc.. And be sure to take some pain medicine BEFORE you go the office. You'll wish you had when you get home and your teeth feel like an 18-wheeler ran into them haha. Oh, and like the poster above mentioned .. bring some kind of lip balm or chapstick. Your mouth will be wide open for a good period of time, and not a drop of moisture will be anywhere near your lips, lol. So your lips are going to be really dry and feel really awkward for about an hour.

With that said, good luck with your appointment! Be sure to come here and tell us all about it. I love to read other people's opinions on their first day in braces :P
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

ingyandbert

#3 Post by ingyandbert »

The first 3 days are the worst and are NOT representative of what the rest of you time in braces will be like. So just understand that. Otherwise, I was back on regular food after something like 7-10 days although eating tended to take a lot longer than usual. My best advice is to listen to kk, lol!

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Good luck, meryaten has pretty much summed up what to expect and do.

As everyone is different, you may not experience the truck in the face effect. I certainly didn't and I also did not need painkillers. But that's me. Take them along just in case. Whether you choose to use them before or after, or not all, is up to you.

I think the steak option may have passed, unless your appointment is after lunch, in which case go out for a nice lunch.

Septimus

#5 Post by Septimus »

thanks everyone, it went quite well.

thanks especially to lionfish, i wouldnt have found my ortho if it wasnt for you, cheers !

fair dinkum these things arent that bad i could cope with this i reckon, just feels like a massive jagged mouthguard bolted in. i'll post some pictures of the mongrels soon

Septimus

#6 Post by Septimus »

fair dinkum these things arent that bad
... mate ... are you living somewhere in this continent?[/quote]

yeah im in sydney

reprazent

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

Im jealous, id LOVE to live in sydney.

Good luck with the braces, try and get some pics so you can watch your progress.

Pirate Wench

#8 Post by Pirate Wench »

:jump: Congrats on getting braced this weekend :jump:

your journey has officially begun. Enjoy the ride......there will be ups and downs. We will all be here for you when just need a few words of encouragement.

Don't forget your salt water rinses and wax. :thumbsup: