palate expander off after 22 months!!!!!!!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ren

palate expander off after 22 months!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by ren »

I've been waiting and dreaming for this day for 22 months one week........I can't contain myself!!! It's FINALLY off, I have the roof of my mouth back!!! I can say words normally (it didn't take any adjustment period at all to remember how to say them!!)....I'm loving it sooo much right now! It was a suprise because my orth said that it wasn't coming off until my braces come off-which is very very soon....so this is SOOOO GREAT!

For anyone who has to wear theirs for as long or longer than I, first I sympathize & feel your pain....BUT it's the right way to do it...so hang in there!!!

I thank everyone for their words of encouragement & support!!!!!
Ren (Renee) :D :D :D :D :D :D

p.s. I have to update my ticker!!

Katiari

#2 Post by Katiari »

That's incredibly wonderful news! Congratulations and I bet you are just elated at being able to say everything like normal again! (Are you running your tongue back and forth over the roof of your mouth constantly now? hehe)

Jared

#3 Post by Jared »

would love to see before and after pics. I am going to be tortured in a similar manner and am hoping it will all be worth it. I am very happy for you--now you have free reign over your mouth again (for the most part).
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

jaws

#4 Post by jaws »

Congrats ren!! As you know, I had my expander for 14 months, and that was bad enough...I don't think I could have done 22! Way to go! :lol:
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

airxjordan24

#5 Post by airxjordan24 »

ren since you had your expander on for so long, did you run into any problems? I'm going on 8 months with mine, and the "legs" and corner of the square piece is cutting into up uper jaw. i felt some pain today while eating and took a look at it with a mirror. it looks as though the gums around my upperjaw is growing over the "legs" and there is some slight blood :cry: i'm going in tomorrow toa sk the doc. hopefully he'll take it out
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

Indy

#6 Post by Indy »

Congrats Ren!! That is a LONG time!

I know how you are feeling to some degree. I just got my pendex removed this morning, after 5 months and 1 week, so I can feel the roof of my mouth again. My mouth feels big and the roof of it feels a litte rough :?

I go back in this afternoon to get my nance. The bad news is I have a new cavity on the molar that was banded and was being moved :cry:
I already have one filing on the back of that tooth now the whole tooth will have a filing.

I don't drink much pop or eat alot of sweets, but I guess I had enough!! I think I really need to avoid sugary things all together. Otherwise I'm scared of the thought of having nice teeth with several new filings :shock:

Congrats again and on the upcoming debracing!!

AirX I didn't have the gum wrap around the wire, but I have a small cut (little bleeding when band was removed & brushing) on the inside were my gum and tooth meet on both banded molars. I'm guessing it's from the band more than the wire. Good luck getting that taken care of.

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

:-)o What a Fantastic Surprise :-)o

That is wonderful news. I bet it was the best surprise to go in and have the ortho say they were taking it off early.

Congrats......

ren

#8 Post by ren »

thanks for all of your kind words everyone!!! Yes, it's a long time but it's worth it....I didn't have any problems with the "legs"...except food getting caught up in them. I'll definitely have to post some before/after pictures....especially since I found out yesterday that my braces are coming off TOMORROW!! I wasn't expecting them to come off as we haven't hit 2 years yet....but I'm ready!!!!! I'm hoping that I can get some pro-pics from the doc (the one's I take are blurry) and I'll be sure to post them for all of you because the change was/is SOO AMAZING!

Renee (aka perma grin) :D :D 8) :lol: :D