Archwires ...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clo

Archwires ...

#1 Post by Clo »

Hi,

since there seems to be only silence in the section 'ask the doc', I'll try my
luck here. Massive braces experience of you all maybe can replace the
absence of a pro opinion.

I read it so many times before. One starts with a very light archwire and
'upgrades' from time to time to more heavier wires, and from round ones
to square or rectangular ones. When reached the heavier one, they start
correcting the bite, very often using elastics. So they use the combination
of heavy archwires and elastics.

My first ortho did it too in this way. But my second ortho does it in an other
way. He removes the heavy archwires and places very light ones when he
places (heavy) elastics.
The same with powerchains. At my next appointment, he said he will
remove the upper heavy archwire, change it to a light one and install a
powerchain on all my uppers, to retract them. I wonder if anyone has this
done the same way. Because I see major disadvantages when I look at my
teeth. As I see my arch forms getting worse, I see tipping here and there
and I see my teeth alignment melt as snow in the sun. Because the applied
forces of these elastics are greater than the holding capabilities of the
archwires, I guess.
I just wonder if my ortho is following some technique here or is he slowly
getting desperate because my bite does not get any better at all ?

ladygal

#2 Post by ladygal »

Maybe you should talk to your doc...he may have learned a different strategy of correcting teeth...not every ortho does it the same way. Also I've noticed on some posts that teeth get worse in places before they get better all over.

Take a list of questions to ask so you don't forget. And if you don't get your questions answered or happy with the answers get a 2nd opinion.

Clo

#3 Post by Clo »

4230 registered users ... so more than 8000 archwires and only 2 responses
said Clo jokingly !

joplin

#4 Post by joplin »

Clo, my journey too has followed the regular step-by-step towards heavies wires, so I'm as clueless as the others. I would ask the ortho a straight forward question - although I know they are not always that eager to give straight forward answers...
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

Well i cant really help you but i know that when i had new bands put on so extra teeth could be included i was told not to wear my elastics due to there being a lighter archwire because apparently the the lighter wires dont hold up well with elastics.

When i had stronger wires put back in i was able to get my elastics back.

Sorry i know its not much help.

fins

#6 Post by fins »

Hi Clo- I think orthos can pick different ways to do the same thing. I have gone through the progression of light to heavy and now have gone to a light upper archwire with HEAVY elastics. I see some new gaps and the elastics are moving teeth both up and down (both arches), around the triangle area. At least that's what it looks like to me. I've had quite a few archwire changes too, probably more than many of the posters. My lower is still a 19x25 I think.

Ariesinatl

#7 Post by Ariesinatl »

The reason for the lighter archwire is to not hold the teeth so tight. Lighter archwire with a combo of elastics/powerchains equals greater movement. The lighter wire lets other teeth move and reposition.

The heavy archwire is used towards the end when everything is aligned and your bite is good. It keeps the teeth anchored and keeps them in place so they can settle.

When my doctor needed to rotate my bicuspids he moved me up to a very light wire, wrapped the bracket/wire on the teeth that needed rotation with a small wire lig and then plastic ligs over that. I was amazed at how much movement occured.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

fins

#8 Post by fins »

I had a heavy archwire and now have a light one and my bite is still a work in progress. I'm guessing I'll get another heavy archwire after the light one then.