expander cutting into roof of mouth!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

airxjordan24

expander cutting into roof of mouth!!

#1 Post by airxjordan24 »

has anyone experienced this before? i'm going on about 6 months with this expander, and tonight i felt some pain so i decided to take a look with a mirror. i noticed that the corner of the expander is cutting into the roof of my mouth, which would explain the taste of blood in my mouth. in additon, it looks like some gum tissue is growing over one of the legs of the expander.
I'm going to my orthos office tomorrow to have it checked out, hopefully they take a look at it for me even though my next appointment isnt until 2 weeks. here's a pic, so that you guys can see what i'm talking about... i circled the area in green:

any1 experience this before? :(
Last edited by airxjordan24 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

babymetalmouth

#2 Post by babymetalmouth »

I dont know whats going on, so no advice, but just wanted to say, you have my sympathy!!! :shock: I hope they get rid of it, becuase it looks like your mouth is trying to take it in or something :shock:

Hope you get better soon, they should sort it! Good luck!
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Other people on here have experienced the same thing, i'd suggest getting an emergency appointment with your ortho especially if it is causing you pain. They may be able to position it better or take it out all together :wink:

bethne3

#4 Post by bethne3 »

I am the palate expander nightmare queen.
I've gone through 3 of them so far.

The same thing happened to me except mine was digging so hard that I couldn't sleep, it hurt so badly.

Make an emergency appointment. That should NOT be doing that. When I went in and my ortho saw how it was digging into the roof/side of my mouth she immediately removed it.
I now have a scar from it.
4 Wisdoms Removed 11/14/05
Upper Teeth Braced/Expander 11/22/05
Lower Teeth Braced/Expander 11/28/05

airxjordan24

#5 Post by airxjordan24 »

just got back from my ortho. doc says its not cutting into my gums. the gums are growing over it. he said to stimulate the area with a tootbrush daily and it shall go down. :?:

we shall see. lol :cry:
1/21/06 - spacers and brackets
1/25/06 - 2 lower biscupids extracted
1/30/06 - lower archwire
2/13/06 - expander on uppers

MyBracesMakeMeSad

Re: expander cutting into roof of mouth!!

#6 Post by MyBracesMakeMeSad »

I know what you're going through man...I have the same problem it hurts like hell. Idk what to do D: