Question about Ceramics on Top

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenfire

Question about Ceramics on Top

#1 Post by jenfire »

Is there a limit to the number of teeth on top that can have ceramic brackets?

During my initial consultation, they told me that I could have 5-5 (total 10) teeth on top w/ceramic brackets. We agreed on 5-5 on top in ceramic and 3-3 (total 6) on bottom with ceramic. The rest would be metal. I went in today to get the tops bracketed and now they tell me that they can only do 3-3 (total 6) ceramics on my top teeth, and that they do not have ceramic brackets available to do the other 4 (& that the ortho does not do that).

I am confused because we had previously agreed upon 5-5 ceramics for the top and 3-3 ceramics on the bottom. Is it possible to get ceramics on all visible teeth on the top? Anyone know the answer?
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

Paws917

#2 Post by Paws917 »

I have 8 ceramic brackets on top. I figure that's because I have a wide smile. I've read that some people only get 6 though.

Did you ask your ortho why he decided to go that route instead of what you had already agreed upon?

Erin

jenfire

#3 Post by jenfire »

Thanks for your response, Paws917. The ortho gave no justification and the assistant's response seemed to imply that more than 6 on the top was "just never done"??? I have a very wide smile as well so the metal is very visible.

Caroline

#4 Post by Caroline »

I had the exact configuration that you had agreed upon with your ortho: 10 ceramic brackets on the uppers, and 6 ceramic brackets on the lowers. So, this type of configuration is definitely done. Was the agreed-upon configuration indicated in your contract? If so, you should have a sit-down with your ortho whenever possible.
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

Granola

#5 Post by Granola »

Hi--I too have eight ceramic brackets on top. My ortho told me that I would have six on top, but when he actually put on my brackets, decided that eight would be better because I show eight of my upper teeth when I smile. It definitely sounds like a discussion about this would be a good idea. Good luck (I hope you get what you are wanting).
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

cheerikimi

#6 Post by cheerikimi »

My ortho tried to convince me to do 6 ceramics on top. I have a HUGE smile and negotiated 8 ceramics on top. Now looking at my smile, I probably should have gone with 10, 2 of my metals are fairly visible when I smile big.

I guess 6 on the top is the "norm" but as others have said, many people do have 8 or 10. Good luck talking with your ortho.

jenfire

#7 Post by jenfire »

Thanks for the info. It's now been taken care of...I had to have my husband (who is a lawyer) call the ortho office and talk to the general manager. Fortunately, it was spelled out in our paperwork that 10 ceramics would be on the upper teeth. They have agreed to fix it; I go back next week.

While I am glad that everything is getting fixed, I am still annoyed that the ortho and assistant just "blew me off" and did not seriously listen to my concerns. I suspect that it does not bode well for the future (i.e., if I cannot trust that they will listen to my concerns)...I will likely be relocating in a year so I'll be extremely careful when selecting a new ortho in the future.