concern about overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lyn

concern about overjet

#1 Post by Lyn »

Hey everyone!

I have a concern about my overjet, and want some thoughts from you guys.

Everyone here talks about their overjet being corrected with elastics. I know I have an overjet and it is MUCH better than before braces. BUT I don't think my dr. plans to correct it. I am pretty fine with that, but my sister asked me the other day if it was going to be fixed and I said no she was like "huh???" :?: :?: :?:

I am wondering now if I should ask to have the overjet fixed. I wonder if since it wasn't part of his initial plan that it is too late/???? What do you think?

:wink:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

chicago

#2 Post by chicago »

I agree with the last responder, sit with your ortho and ask him why the overjet won't be corrected. Maybe he can do some teeth reduction to make room, but what is the reason for not having it corrected?
I would want it corrected.

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! I think all overjets have a correction, weether is it extractions or surgery or elastics or whatever, but no one should remove their braces without having their overjet corrected. I'm sure your doctor will find a way to correct it.
Good luck,
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Joanna20

#4 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey Lyn so I searched some of your posts and I saw your pictures and I think u don't have such a bad overjet afterall mine is actually worse I think, but I keep the same opinnion as in my previous post, your doctor will def. correct it, and hopefully u won't need any surgery or anything. Most of us here have slight overjets and they are all being 100% corrected. Look at jezzlezz story, her overjet has improved SOO much that is nearly gone!
Hang in there, and please let us know what ur doctor said regarding that matter.
Joe

rsprouse

#5 Post by rsprouse »

Lyn,

Some overjet is normal, how large is your overjet? What bothers you about it, is it a cosmetic issue or are you afraid of a functional problem? Do you have any trouble "tearing" food with your front teeth or moving your jaw forward?

Regards,
Rory

Lyn

#6 Post by Lyn »

Thanks everyone! :D
I plan on bringing this up with the Ortho at the next adjustment. I was just curious as to how many of you will still have one after braces come off.
I isn't really that big of a deal - put it this way My top teeth will rest on my bottoms and only cover them by a teeny tiny bit. BUT my tops & bottoms will not naturally meet together because then my back teeth will not touch. Does that make sense???

I am fine with it and delighted with my progress, so we'll just wait and see what he says at the next adj. He checks it every time so I KNOW he knows what he's doing!! :!:

Thanks all :lol:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

payoki

#7 Post by payoki »

my ortho tells me that he can't correct my overjet completely w/out any extractions and he won't extract my teeth because my gums aren't healthy...he tells me that after 10 month of treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mother of one.

nvcarissa

#8 Post by nvcarissa »

My top teeth will rest on my bottoms and only cover them by a teeny tiny bit. BUT my tops & bottoms will not naturally meet together because then my back teeth will not touch.
What is the size of the space between your front teeth and your back? In millimeters...

If this distance is minimal, you really may not have an overjet. The front teeth are supposed to be just in front of the back with a slight overlap as you describe.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

I will have some overjet in the end too because of not having any extractions. With my profile, if I had extractions I would have more of a sunk in look so I opted for some overjet but a full smile. I although could have gone the surgery route too to FULLY correct it I was told.

I'm nearing the end and I'm pretty happy.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Joanna20

#10 Post by Joanna20 »

payoki wrote:my ortho tells me that he can't correct my overjet completely w/out any extractions and he won't extract my teeth because my gums aren't healthy...he tells me that after 10 month of treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That doesn't make much sense to me. If I were you (and if the OVRJ bothers you) I would seek a second and third oppinion. There's tons of stuff u can do to get healthier gums!
Good luck,
Joanna