1st bicuspid - 2nd bicuspid

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Deb01

1st bicuspid - 2nd bicuspid

#1 Post by Deb01 »

My ortho wants to have 3 of my 1st bicuspids extracted. I've been braced for 1 month and can't believe the movement I've already had.
Has anyone else had 1st bicuspids removed vs. 2nd bicuspids? I'm afraid of gaps because I do not have wisdom teeth. Would someone let me know of their experience?[color=darkblue][/color]
Braced on 6/28/2006

Henna_the_braceface

#2 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I've had my upper first bicuspids and lower 2nd bicuspids removed. The gaps for me were not that noticable for my upper 1st bicuspids. When I smiled nobody commented at all. Good luck :D Having the teeth extracted isn't too bad either! :)

Deb01

#3 Post by Deb01 »

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted with just novicane. (not all at once...in pairs.) It still kind of sucks though. Thanks for the reply and the support. :D
Braced on 6/28/2006

nita

#4 Post by nita »

I had all four first premolars extracted. I still have the extraction gaps and you can only see them if I smile really big and if you look at my teeth from the side.
I recently told some friends about the extractions and they were suprised, as they have been around me for months with the extraction gaps and had never noticed them!

If you got your wisdoms out with just novocaine, you'll be fine with the premolar extractions. Best of luck! :D
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

the_bufster84

#5 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hey, I just had my upper first bicuspids removed yesterday. My ortho chose the 1sts and not the 2nds so my treatment would be quicker.

Upper Ceramics

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Typically 1st premolars are extracted over 2nd because it is easier to move the anterior teeth backwards, and leaving the 1st PM will add more surface area to the movement. But if teeth are periodontally compromised, decayed, etc then sometimes the 2nd are used. Either is an acceptal treatment option in most cases, but why make things harder :D

Best,
Rory