Chain Came Off

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyGoddess

Chain Came Off

#1 Post by LadyGoddess »

Hello, last night while eating chocolate chip cookies, one of my chains came off a bracket. I believe its a chain in that its gray with a loop coming off either end of a straight piece. The loops are usually wrapped around the brackets.

With my metal toothpick, I'm able to pull on the loop so its strechable. The main problem now is that nearly all my bottom teeth are hurting me. I'm guessing without that one's steady pull, the teeth are moving on their own. My orthodontist doesn't even take phone calls till Tuesday and they're 2 hours away.

What should I do? I've been trying to pull the loop back over the bracket myself, but am not having too much luck. And today, it hurts like hell to tug on the loop.

Thanks.

LadyGoddess

#2 Post by LadyGoddess »

I found a picture online and its most definitely a powerchain.

fyrelight

#3 Post by fyrelight »

Just try to loop it back over the appropriate bracket. If you get it back on, your other teeth will settle back down. Powerchains do come off sometimes.. just stick em back on with a pair of tweezers and a toothpick.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

LadyGoddess

#4 Post by LadyGoddess »

fyrelight wrote:just stick em back on with a pair of tweezers and a toothpick.
I've been trying to, but the angle is really awkward and I can't seem to do it myself (I wear glasses too and its on my weaker left side so I'm having trouble seeing it). I've been asking my family and friends to please help, but they're ignoring me.

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

Do you have one of the plastic hooks for elastics? They usually are easier to manipulate. If your ortho isn't in, are there any other orthos open, or even someone you know in braces, someone has to have one.

If not I wouldn't worry too much if its just for a few days until you see your regular ortho. I had one tooth taken "out of the loop" and it put stress on the nearby tooth. But it settled down shortly.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

LadyGoddess

#6 Post by LadyGoddess »

Actually, I finally got my dad to do it. He complained the whole time though. *rolls eyes*

My orthodontist never tells me a thing about my braces. I go in, wait my turn, sit down in the chair, the special sunglasses handed to me, hold my mouth open as wires are bent in and out then handed my folder. That may be because most of the staff doesn't speak English?