ORTHO made a mistake?! Oddly placed extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracketed

ORTHO made a mistake?! Oddly placed extractions?

#1 Post by bracketed »

Okay so I am really worried right now.
My braces progress was going okay, but then on Wednesday, my ortho said he would have to extract two teeth. I assumed it would be a bicuspid or something. But he extracted two teeth that were in different locations, and the result really really scares me.

Below is a picture that I edited in Photoshop so it looks like the teeth are removed. (It's not me in the pic):

*I still have my wisdom teeth*

Notice how he removed one incisor, and how he also removed a molar!! Why? I know that if you remove 1 tooth from the bottom you can have an asymetrical smile - it still looks good (I read this girl's blog on how she had just 1 incisor removed) But why the molar? When my teeth fill in the gaps, wont I have an extra molar on one side? Won't that cause yet another extraction?!

I don't understand why he did this!!!
Sorry, but I am really angry right now...
Basically, can someone tell me what my final result would look like, and help else my fears.

Thanks for your time. :?
Last edited by bracketed on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

talk to your ortho, I"m sure he has a plan for it all. I'm sure he wouldn't pull an incisor without a good reason.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Are you saying that the ORTHO did the extractions or a regular dentist?
I've never heard of an ortho doing the actual extractions.

From what I see it looks like you have both 1st and 2nd bicuspids gone with the 1st and 2nd molar still there. Did you have one of those bicuspids already missing?

PS. I just checked your previous posts, looks like those last teeth are wisdom teeth? Perhaps he plans on moving those forward?

I'm at a loss here. You best ask your ortho the exact treatment plan.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

Count the number of teeth you have left and get back to us. The person in this picture has only 10 left. I kind of doubt that your ortho left you with only 10 teeth. Normally there are 14 left after the wisdom teeth are extracted. The person in the picture has had wisdom teeth AND four more teeth extracted. Are you saying you have had wisdom teeth and four other teeth extracted? If not I think you are trying to pull our legs. If I am wrong I apologize profusely but give us something real to go on here.

Thanks -
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

bracketed

#5 Post by bracketed »

@Chris: Yes, my ortho did the extractions. Is that not normal?

@KK: Yes, thanks for your reply. I bet there is a treatment plan, and I really overreacted. It's just that I always invisioned having that four teeth arch, and now it will be three. I am just angry that my ortho never mentioned an incisor removal - he only said bicuspids, and I swear he changed his mind at the last minute while doing the extractions. But I could be wrong.

The only teeth I've ever had extracted are two bicuspids on the top and one bicuspid & one incisor on the bottom. So 12 teeth remains. Wait, shouldn't I have 14? *confused*

EDIT: Oh wow. I just realised I was only born with 28 teeth. Does that mean I was born without wisdom teeth (well, never developing them later on in life?)

SamanthaClavier

#6 Post by SamanthaClavier »

I havent had anything pulled yet but my husband did.He had four wisdom/moloars(very back teeth LOL) teeth pulled (2 top 2 bottom) and three biscups 2 top, 1 bottom and 1 incisor bottom.Eight all together.I think thats right.He plans to push everything back.Maybe thats what your ortho is doing?I only have one third molar/wisdom tooth on top(its impacted,may need to be cut out later (it doesnt have roots yet.)Its possible you dont have those either? Heck you may have a tooth that hasnt came in/maybe the one you are so concered about?possibility.

fins

#7 Post by fins »

Most orthos refer you to a dentist or oral surgeon to do extractions.

I would get another appointment and sit down and go over how he plans on getting the teeth into position. They can fill large gaps - I had a much larger gap created on one side of my arch and the teeth all fit together beautifully, eventually, even though I couldn't for the life of me visualize how this could be done.

If you're really second guessing your ortho, get a quick consult with another ortho to double check on what's going on. Just explain your concerns, they give second opinions all the time.

ScottR

#8 Post by ScottR »

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

Most orthos refer you to a dentist or oral surgeon to do extractions.

If you're really second guessing your ortho, get a quick consult with another ortho to double check on what's going on. Just explain your concerns, they give second opinions all the time.
I TOTALLY agree with Fins !
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kimber

#10 Post by Kimber »

I had no idea that orthos could do extractions, but since they are fully trained dentists before they go on for additional orthodontic training, I suppose there's no reason they can't. The dentists may have lobbied to keep them from being able to, though. It's all usually set by the state Dental Boards of what they all can and can't do. What country/state do you live in?

I second the last response, too. If you're concerned, don't be afraid to get a second opinion!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

EDIT: Oh wow. I just realised I was only born with 28 teeth. Does that mean I was born without wisdom teeth (well, never developing them later on in life?)
There are people who are born without wisdom teeth. People in my family included. I was not one of the lucky ones :-(.

If you have 12 teeth left on upper or lower that seems perfectly normal. I think it is also normal to have a lower incisor removed. I think there are other people on this board who have had an odd (three) teeth removed. But I would be surprised if it was anything like the picture you are showing.

Good luck speaking with your ortho.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

nvcarissa

#12 Post by nvcarissa »

I would suggest before you even go for the second opinion that you sit down with your current ortho and find out what your treatment plan is. Since it's not your mouth that you showed us, we really are shooting in the dark when trying to figure out what your ortho has in mind. Don't try second guess your ortho, find out from him what's up.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.