Ist Adjustment (w/ pics)--Sorry! Think I fixed it.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jared

Ist Adjustment (w/ pics)--Sorry! Think I fixed it.

#1 Post by Jared »

I had my first adjustment this week. I have to decide between surgery and extraction of the two first bicuspids on top, all to correct the overjet. Slow progress. What do you think?

6/15/06

8/1/06

Wow! I figured out the pics thing. Cool! I don't see a whole lot of progress, other than maybe a bit of rounding in the arch. Feedback welcomed.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

lesdents

#2 Post by lesdents »

If the choice were mine, I'd go for extractions.

I had four premolars extracted to accomodate my teeth, and I think it was the best choice for me. Now there's so much room to work with, whereas before, I could barely floss because my teeth were so incredibly crowded!

Although I was really, really afraid of having teeth pulled, it was actually a pretty minor procedure. It took less than an hour, didn't require general anesthesia, and healed well within ten days. You just have to be careful not to dislodge the blood clot which can lead to dry socket, but that happening is rare.

Either way, I wish you the best!

hippyhippo

#3 Post by hippyhippo »

Surgery vs extractions... that's tough!

In my case, I'm going with surgery. My ortho said that I could go with extractions if I refused surgery, but he wouldn't recommend it. With my facial structure, upper extractions would make my face look caved in. And it was clear from the x-rays (even I could tell) that the problem is my lower jaw being underdeveloped, so the logical course of action is to fix the problem (surgery).

Of course, this is my case, and yours may be completely different. Hopefully your ortho has a preference. If he's happy either way I'd ask him questions such as: Which method will likely achieve the best jaw function? What will be the most cosmetically pleasing result? What is the difference in treatment time? How will either method affect my treatment plan (elastics, applicances, etc)?

Best of luck!