thick archwire broke near two last molars after only 5 days

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jane2

thick archwire broke near two last molars after only 5 days

#1 Post by jane2 »

I had my 4th adjustment last Mon. (7/31). My ortho changed the archwires to thicker ones, since the thinner lower archwire broke twice after my 3rd adjustment. My next adjustment would be in 10 weeks. Wouldn't that be too long?

But to my surprise, only after 5 days, the archwire broke in two places right in front of my two last molars. This time, it's the upper archwire instead of the lower one, which broke twice after last adjustment.

I have two questions:
1) Has anyone experienced archwire brake? How to avoid it? I did not bite hard or sticky food. Just sometimes, I bite a little harder. Maybe I need to bite softly.

2). I could not find one segment of broken archwire which is about 0.8 inches. I don't know if I rinsed it out or swallowed it. But I don't feel any uncomfortable. Do I need to worry about it?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

Call your ortho tomorrow morning right away and get that archwire replaced.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

jane2

#3 Post by jane2 »

Thanks.

I will call the assistant tomorrow. My ortho only sees patients 3 mornings a week. Every visit, he only spent 5-7 minutes with me. He is a full time professor, so schedule is very busy. Most of his patients have invisalign.

His assistants might got bored with me. Because once again, the archwire broke. But I've got to bug them again.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Sounds to me that the alignment of the brackets might be off too far between the teeth where it is breaking off. The added stress is probably what is causing it too happen = JMHO.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers