My awful teeth - joney (pic)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

My awful teeth - joney (pic)

#1 Post by joney »

Just have a look at my awful teeth. I've never really liked them but it hasn't stopped me from smiling. I hope that after I get them done that they will look normal. I suppose that is the aim. If you think my top teeth are bad you should see my bottom ones, they are ten times worse.

It seems that a lot of people out there covered their smile before having orthodontic work. I wonder if there are others like me who didn't really care that much? Although I am sure that some out there would say that I should have been covering this smile up. It became obvious to me when I saw this photo, when I was standing beside my daughter with her perfect smile, that probably one of the main reasons that I never liked photos of myself is because my smile was ruining the photo. I think I may be slow on the uptake.

In a couple of years I hope that my Irish eyes will be smiling and my Irish teeth will be smiling straighter!

I love this website. Everybody is so supportive, I'm sure I'll be posting like mad over the coming months.

fitchick

#2 Post by fitchick »

Hello,

Firstly, congratulations on taking the step to straighter teeth. It isn't an easy decision to make and it can be a long journey too, but without a doubt it will be one of the best decisions that you ever make.

I have always been embarrassed by my horrible teeth, but when I got braces everyone asked me why? It wasn't because they thought my teeth were ok, it was because no-one ever seems to notice someone else's teeth. If you aren't happy yourself then that is good enough reason for doing it. So, here's to a wonderful smile and lovely straight teeth. I can't wait to see your progress snaps.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi joney,

Congratulations on beginning your orthodontic treatment. When will you be getting your braces?

I hope your ortho treatment goes well and know you are happy that you made the decision to proceed with orthodontic treatment.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I have always been embarrassed by my horrible teeth, but when I got braces everyone asked me why? It wasn't because they thought my teeth were ok, it was because no-one ever seems to notice someone else's teeth.
Everyone has said that to me too, but I feel that if it bothers YOU, then it affects your own self-confidence and is a good enough reason to get it done.

Congratulations on joining the braced club, and I hope you're looking forward to that beautiful smile to match your daughter's.

hippyhippo

#5 Post by hippyhippo »

It seems that a lot of people out there covered their smile before having orthodontic work. I wonder if there are others like me who didn't really care that much?
Sign me up. I have "bad teeth" and it never stopped me from smiling, and I've never hidden them in a picture. I've actually never been self conscious about my teeth period. Maybe I was just too self conscious about other things (like how my butt looked in my jeans) to even think about my teeth. I do have a feeling that I will be self conscious about wearing braces though... :P

Oh well, it will only be arppox 2 years. Hopefully the results (better bite, jaw alignment, and yes... better smile) will be worth it!

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Another one who can identify with you. :mrgreen:

My ugly teeth never stopped me from smiling! When I was a teenager, people always told me what a beautiful smile I had.

A smile is made up of WAY MORE THAN TEETH!!!!!

Welcome to the club, joney, we look forward to hearing about your journey!!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

joney

#7 Post by joney »

Thank you everybody for your supportive comments. Great thing about this site is knowing that you're not alone.

I've been mulling this over for the last few weeks and now I've decided that I'm definitely going ahead with it. I am going to the hygienist 22nd August, I won't let the orthodontist take any nasty pictures of my teeth until then. I'll then get impressions, xrays etc. done and take it from there.

I mentioned my plans to a friend and it turns out that a friend of hers who is in her forties and lives nearby also has a brace. I've just spoken to her on the phone and we're meeting up soon so it's great that I'll also have a brace buddy living nearby as well as the support of this forum.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one worrying if my butt was too big rather than worrying about my horrible teeth. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but once your eyes have been opened to something (i.e. my teeth) it is hard to ignore what has been staring you in the face for so long. Sorry to get all philosophical but hay ho!

Regards
Joney

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Ah, Joney, be nice to yourself! Your teeth are not horrible, truly.

I knew I had badly positioned teeth for most of my life, but I never let that stop me from smiling. I love smiling and laughing because it makes me - and the people around me - feel good.

In my 5 decades on the planet, only one person has made derogatory comments about my choppers. As she is not someone I hold in any esteem, I ignored the comments.

Good luck for your braces journey.

Joanna20

#9 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey! Your teeth don't look THAT bad. They will look much better after u are done with braces.!
Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

jaxxie118

#10 Post by jaxxie118 »

Congrats on deciding to get braces! I'm one of the people that hid from the camera and hated my smile until now. Everyday I can see changes, and it helps my self-esteem so much. Braces are amazing. Good luck and let us know how your brace day goes. :mrgreen:
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

pippy

#11 Post by pippy »

Joney, your teeth are so not that bad! Of course they will look gorgeous when they are all straight but you never had a reason to hide your smile :D
My teeth are a lot more wooky than yours and I still smiled like mad - people used to say I had a lovely smile and its only now with braces that some people have ever noticed how crooked my teeth really were. It's how you wear them and not just what they look like. I am still grinning at people with my braces and hope you will be too.

Hippyhippo, I know what you mean. So much more to worry about with the butt than the teeth...but it seems my braces are fixing that one too :D
All the best - it's a great decision to make to do this for yourself.

sjsarre

#12 Post by sjsarre »

Congrats on deciding to take the plunge

I don't think your teeth look that bad and I bet you they will straighten up with the minimum of effort....

Looking forward to hearing your updates

:D

SamanthaClavier

#13 Post by SamanthaClavier »

I am the same i didnt care who seen my teeth when i smiled.(its not like i had to look at my jacked up grill rofl)but i did find myself not smiling in photos b/c i thought it was just plain out wrong.thats why i dont go and get photos done b/c they always try so so hard to get you to smile when you just dont want to!i really didnt know how "bad/ugly" my teeth where until i started looing at my progress pics.when i come here and look at how everyones smile is coming along it pushes me even more,to get the smile i have always wanted!

joney

#14 Post by joney »

Well after all the hmming and hawing I finally rang the orthodontist today to arrange for xray, photos, casts etc to be done but he will be on holiday and the earliest they can fit me in is 14 Sept. :( I suppose it is my own fault for taking so much time to consider it but now I just want it to be over and done with before somebody tries to talk me out of it. A colleague today said that as I am married I don't need nice teeth for "bargaining power". I don't look at it this way but obviously others do. Ha! Aren't people ever fascinating.

Thanks you all for the kind comments. I'll just have to be patient for a few more weeks. :D Will check up on everybodies progress here and wishing you all well.

lesdents

#15 Post by lesdents »

I definitely DID hide my smile - in my senior portraits for my high school year book, I didn't feel that I could smile, and I really hate those photos.

AND, I've had people notice my bad teeth. Three examples:

1. A boss of mine, when I smiled at her, said, "Ugh, aren't you going to do something about those teeth?" (She was a very rude lady, but still - made me think that even though most people are too polite to mention it, they actually do notice.

2. When I was a waitress, a couple of wealthy-looking ladies I was waiting on were rude enough to say, "You know, we were just discussing it, and you would be so pretty if you just fixed those teeth."

3. A classmate at USC said, "You know, I think you're the first person I've met at this school with crooked teeth."

Anyway, I'm just glad that no one will have cause to say that kind of thing to me again.

Of course, now I notice people's bad teeth, and I feel like saying, "Hey, I did it! You should fix them - people of all ages do it, and it's really exciting to watch them all come into place!" Of course, I'd never say that, because I don't want to cause someone the pain that I felt when I realized that, although people rarely said anything, I was being judged for my teeth, and I would be judged for them unless I did something about it.

Getting braces will be one of the best things you ever do for yourself. It's healthy, makes you look and feel better, etc. And, when you love your straight new teeth, I think it will also inspire better oral hygiene - it did for me!