Slightly worried....help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Iccle_Peanut

Slightly worried....help

#1 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not wisdom teeth can move your other teeth? I'm getting a brace fitted on my uppers as i didn't need one on my lower teeth. However, i think my bottom teeth are moving :?: :!: :?: I've had a problem with one of my back wisdom teeth, it is having trouble coming through, so could this cause my teeth to move?

I think it looks so obvious now and am a bit upset that i'll probs have to have braces on both upper and lower teeth, it's way to expensive, so i'd have to have the tops done then the bottoms seperatly.

Has anyone experienced this at all????

Thanks all
Claire

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

Sad to say but .......YES! My lower wisdom teeth are still in, but they have to come out. Mine are coming in on an angle and they are caught on the underside of the molars beside them. Therefore they will never come through on their own. They would have to push the other molars out first. Due to this....they are continually pushing on my other molars and moving all of the bottom teeth forward. That is what is causing my crowding on my lower arch. My ortho said he doesn't care when they come out (before/during/after treatment) but they definately need to come out. If I leave them in then when my braces come off they will immediately start working against everything we accomplished with the braces on. They will eventually move all my teeth forward again and I will have crowding and my bite will be off again. I will have wasted my money and my time fixing them to begin with.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but you will probably have to deal with your wisdom teeth and the movement on your lower arch.

ShinySmile

#3 Post by ShinySmile »

Yeah, they definitely can...my lower wisdom teeth shifted a great deal when my wisdom teeth tried to come in!

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Yes, again.

When my lower right wisdom tooth came through 36 years ago, it changed my bite for the worse (the bite was already bad). Do get it checked out.

Iccle_Peanut

#5 Post by Iccle_Peanut »

When i told my ortho he just said its an 'age' thing. I have booked a dentist appointment and am going to request to have it taken out asap, how they will do this i don't know as it's inbedded almost in my gum!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, i panicked, it's happened really quickly, i must never really look at my bottom teeth as much as i do my crooked top ones. I hope it doesn't get worse......

Thank you lots
Claire :D

hippyhippo

#6 Post by hippyhippo »

All of my wisdom teeth were impacted, so I had to have surgery to get them removed years ago.

The surgery was much easier than I thought it would be. After two days I could pretty much do anything I did before, aisde from being bruised and swollen (I looked like I got hit in the face with a baseball!). After about a week, I was pretty much back to normal.

Joanna20

#7 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi! I'm sure wisdom teeth can move others because once I got out of braces I had straight bottom teeth,but no space so the wisdom just pushed my teeth to the front and crooked/bucked them. I hope u get it sorted.
Good luck,
JOanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

grinning

#8 Post by grinning »

Wisdom teeth can definitely cause unwanted movement, but that's not the only reason teeth can become crowded in early adult years. Different dentists/orthos have told me teeth always migrate forward over the course of a lifetime (causing crowding). Also, as one ortho described to me, it's possible to have a bottom jaw that continues to grow longer and more forward in the early 20's. It can cause the bottom teeth to press against the uppers creating problems. That's my lovely face! It used to be round when I was 20, now it has some rather... horse-like... qualities! :? So definitely ask what your particular problem is- hopefully they can fix it before it becomes worse!