Starting my ortho journey with questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lemonlyme

Starting my ortho journey with questions

#1 Post by lemonlyme »

I feel like i know all of you already, from reading all of your posts! Lovely people.

I have a general dentist finally (havent in 3 years) Anyway, i went to her and had a root canal done, then went last week and she said i have 3 more small cavities and says i need root planning done --which is $648 per quadrant!!! She said i have 3mm pockets up to 4 mm pockets, and from what i've read that really isnt too bad...I'm getting a second opinion and seeing the ortho on the 15th for my records appt, will he put braces on with me needing some stuff done? The lady on the phone said i'll be getting them on 1 week after my initial appt. My dentist is apparently VERY busy, she never has appointments except for weeks and weeks away. SOOO frustrated, i just want my braces on! Thanks so much for your input :)

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

I think the ortho would probably prefer that you have any dental work done first. At least that's what I was told before I got mine. When the braces are on, it makes it harder for the dentist to do what needs to be done, since they can be in the way. Sometimes the dentist will even remove part of the wire to get to certain places he needs to work on. That happened to me as well when my dentist filled a cavity. It became obvious to me that he wasn't as skilled at putting the wire back in as the ortho was.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I always thought they waited until the pockets were closer to 5mm.

Anyway, I had root planing many years ago. No big deal other than longer time in the chair. They can do 2 quadrants at an appt if you like. Thereafter they gave me some prescription mouthwash that helps close the pockets.

I've got some 3 and 4 mm pockets right now, the dentist hasn't recommended root planing again.

If you are going to have it done, do it now before the braces go on.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007