How are brackets removed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

How are brackets removed?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I have 6 to 9 months to go until my braces are off :jump: and now I was just getting curious about how the brackets will be removed. I heard somewhere on the forum that pliers are used :-(( ! I have alot of decalcification which makes my enamel kind of soft, so I worry that my teeth could be damaged. Do they use some sort of solvent that desolves the glue that holds the brackets on? Whatever is holding my brackets on must be some strong stuff! I'd sure hate to glue my fingers together with whatever it is! :shock:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

I had two "hooks" on my lower bicuspids when I got braced to assist in rotating them, and at my first adjustment they removed them to put on regular brackets. The ortho used a pair of pliers, no solvent, nothing. That didn't hurt as much as when the asst scraped the glue off, though! Maybe once the glue has been on there for so long it comes off easier? I don't know, but I'm sure someone who has been debraced will be able to clue you in better!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have had numerous ( I lost count) brackets removed for repositioning. Yup, they just use a pliar and as long as the teeth are not sore from movement it doesn't hurt at all. But yes! Removing the glue hurts alot if your teeth are sensitive to cold/hot, etc. Some of my teeth are sensitive and other aren't and the ones that are sensitive are mostly sensitive down by the gumline.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

drazda

#4 Post by drazda »

I just had a bracket repositioned for the first time. It didn't hurt at all, and I was suprised how quicky it was yanked off.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Same here. I had a molar bracket removed and replaced with another last week and felt nothing.

Joanna20

#6 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey I'm a second timer. The first time I got debraced they used pliers, no solvent or anything else. It did hurt a big. And then they removed the glue carefully so they don't damage your enammel.
Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

So they DO just use pliers??? It's hard to believe it won't hurt! My teeth get alot more sensitive when they remove the wire becaause of the pressure relief. That makes it hurt quite a bit when they put new ties on at adjustment time. But if they take out the wire, and then apply enough pressure--not to install ties, but to yank off the brackets.....

Maybe they should just leave my braces on! :lol:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

They use special pliars that grip evenly around the bracket. This helps to keep the pressure even. So it is not like a wrenching type motion.

You know how your teeth really hurt after an adjustment and then later they don't hurt.? As long as they are not hurting from adjustment type pain the pressure from the bracket removal does not hurt at all.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

genxsis

#9 Post by genxsis »

Ok, Ill take your word for it. I have 6 to 9 months to go, so I'll try not to worry about it to much during that time.

Thank you everyone for your help!

SamanthaClavier

#10 Post by SamanthaClavier »

shoot it hurt me when they changed the ligs,i think thats what its called?boy he picked on the tooth thats hurts the most,i guess to get it out of the way?